Help with a pattern reading

Hello,

I downloaded a heart pattern. However, I have a quewstion. Usually when the pattern wants you to repeat several stitches, it will say ---- repeat from *… But this pattern states knit 2, yarn over, k2tog, repeat. Does the repeat pertain to the entire line or just the K2tog?? thanks

I answered in the other thread, but it’s good that you started a separate one for your question. I’m going to delete my reply there, but will post it here…

Are there parentheses or brackets around any of the sts? If there are, that’s what you repeat.

Can you give us a link to the pattern.

Hi Sue,

There are no parentheses, brackets, nothing. that is what is so weird.
I cannot find the link right now OF COURSE, but I pasted the pattern below. It doesnt say “repeat” it says TWICE. Thanks so very much.

It must be k2tog twice, otherwise repeating the 3rd row until 8sts remain would never decrease any sts (the k2tog would always be compensated for by the yo).

“K2, YO K2tog, K to end
K2, YO, K2tog, TWICE , K10, K2tog, place remaining 18 sts on holder
K2, YO, K2tog, TWICE, K to end
[I]Repeat last row until 8 sts remain[/I]”

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I tried and tried to figure it out by the 8 stitches left thing. But my brain couldn’t make sense of it! Doesnt the knit 2tog cancel out the yarnover? Thank you again.

Yes it’s just the k2tog twice that you need to repeat. You can figure it out by counting stitches. You’re starting with 36 - 18 on a holder and k10, is 28 sts, K2 at the beg of the row and 3 k2togs use 36 sts.

And please edit your post to take out everything after the rows in this section. It’s against copyright laws to post an entire pattern.

I deleted the end of my last post per your request.

But while you are here, can you please answer another question for me?? This pattern says:

Cast on 44 stitches or a multiple of 12 plus 2
Work 4 rows in garter stitch

Note: Keep 3 stitches on either end in garter stitch for border.

However, neither 44 or 46 are multiples of 12. Am I missing something??

Cast on 44 stitches or a multiple of 12 plus 2
Work 4 rows in garter stitch

Note: Keep 3 stitches on either end in garter stitch for border.

It could have been clearer–the 44 includes the 6 edge stitches, looks like. 44 - 6 = 38 which is a multiple of 12 + 2. So it should be 12 + 2 + 6 edge stitches.

Okay thanks so very much. I would have not figured that one out about the multiples of 12.

I am a new knitter, many patterns, even though they say it’s for beginners or “easy” it is written as though we know what they mean.

Thanks for explaining this one~!!!