Help with a knitting pattern please

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I’m completely stumped by this knitting pattern. I’m knitting a child’s hat in a brioche pattern. When it comes to shaping the crown it doesn’t make sense:

Row 1
K1, *K3tog (not counting yo as stud), slp1 wyif, yo, rep from * to last 3[1:]4 sts, k2tog (yo and 1st), p1, k1 [k1:sl1p wyif, yo, k2tog (yo and 1st), p1, k1]. 20[20:22]
Work 3 rows without dec.
Row 5
K1, *k3tog (not counting yo as sts), sl1p wyif, yo, rep from * to last 3[3:1] sts, k2tog (yo and 1st), p1, k1 [k2tog (yo and 1st), p1, k1:k1]. 12 sts
Work 1 row without decreasing.
Fasten off.

I’ve attached a photo of the whole pattern. I hope someone can help me :pray:

Thank you!

Welcome to KH!
Which size are you making? Can you tell us the source of the pattern (a book, a leaflet from which company or designer)?

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I’m knitting the middle size. The pattern is Rico Knitting 337.

Thanks

For the medium size for shaping the crown, Row 1:
K1, *K3tog (not counting yo as st), slp1 wyif, yo, rep from * to last 1 sts, k1. 20 sts
See if that works for the medium.
The brackets aren’t right at one point and there’s a problem with the large size but the medium seems ok.

Thanks salmonmac! So do I knit what’s in the brackets? That’s what I’m confused about.

Not all of what’s in the brackets. Just as the cast on was divided into the different sizes, the directions here are divided into the different sizes (albeit, confusingly)
K1, *K3tog (not counting yo as stud), slp1 wyif, yo, rep from * to last 3[1:]4 sts, k2tog (yo and 1st), p1, k1 [k1:sl1p wyif, yo, k2tog (yo and 1st), p1, k1]. 20[20:22] The bolded directions are for size M.

So the k2tog (yo and 1st), p1,k1 refers to size S
K1 refers to size M
and sl1p wyif, yo, k2tog (yo and 1st) p1, k1 refers to size L

Thank you so much!! It’s very confusing but it makes sense now!

Thanks again :slight_smile: