Help with a hat

Hi all,
I recently picked up the swirl hat pattern from ravelry, and I’m having some problems with it. I’m making the adult version, which calls for 128 stitches cast on. When I get to the pattern bit (K2, YO, K4, K2tog), I keep ending up with two stitches left over (though it’s an eight stitch pattern and I shouldn’t have stitches left over) and I’ve lost stitches too - not counting the YO loops, I only have 114 stitches, despite being very careful to cast on the correct number at the outset. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I’m doing wrong?

If you count your stitches, but not the YO, you would have 114 because you’ve done 14 k2tog, which would reduce the count by 14 stitches. The YOs are adding back those 14 stitches as you go, so you need to count them to get back to 128.

As for the extra two stitches, have you worked a round more than once and always ended up with an extra two? Or this has happened on the first round and you stopped there?

My first guess would be that you worked a couple of pattern repeats with K3 instead of K4. Check as you count around your stitches to see. (Happens to me all the time.) You’d still have the right number of total stitches, but you’d be short on a couple of repeats - 7 stitches instead of 8 - and thus have those extra stitches showing up at the end.