HELP!Why does my seed stitch look so ratty?

I am trying to make a prayer shawl that call for K3, P3 throughout the pattern. In other items that I’ve made - my knit and purl stitches look fine. But now that I’m trying to combine the two in a basic seed stitch the stitches look uneven and don’t seem to form an attractive pattern. What am I doing wrong? :XX:

The difference could be the yarn and size needle you’re using. Looser stitches won’t stand up as much as with thinner, smoother yarn. Can you post a picture at all?

I’ll have to figure out first how to post on this board.

:waving: [color=darkred]BTW - I assume you mean post a picture of the pattern that I’m using. The size needle that I’m using = 15. Yarn being used is Bernat Solo Nouveau. [/color]

Thanks for answering this post.

Ingrid:

After thinking about it I remembered that I can give you the link to the prayer shawl instructions.

If you need more info let me know.

Thanks again

When I read prayer shawl, my first thought was that you might be using Homespun. I don’t really like Homespun. I’m not familiar with the yarn you’re using, though.

My guess is that since your needles are so large that the knitting will be naturally looser. How far have you gotten? Often stitches in the first few rows seem to look funky for a while. After you get more done, they all seem to even out.

What specifically is the problem?

I just noticed your post in the other section, too. Are you getting gaps between the knit and purl sections? If when you switch from one to the other, you hold your yarn pulled tight as you switch and make the first stitch, it will reduce that gap.

Thanks a bunch:

I haven’t gotten to far into the pattern. The most that I’ve knitted before the unmerciful rip out has been about 5 rows. It looked so bad that I just ripped and started over. I’ll try again and I’m thinking about using the preferred yarn since I just recently purchased Homespun yarn. I may even try another shawl (beginner) pattern so that I can finish quicker.

Thanks for the tip about how the beginning rows look.

Thanks a bunch:

I haven’t gotten too far into the pattern. The most that I’ve knitted before the unmerciful rip out has been about 5 rows. It looked so bad that I just ripped and started over. I’ll try again and I’m thinking about using the preferred yarn since I just recently purchased Homespun yarn. I may even try another shawl (beginner) pattern so that I can finish quicker.

Thanks for the tip about how the beginning rows look.