Help w/ Chickami - What's SLP?

Hi, just looking for some help with my Chickami…

I have divided the front and back and now have a row which says:

(WS): SLP, P1, K1, P across to last 3 sts, K1, P1, SLP.

So I can do the SLP that comes at the beginning of the row no problem. But when trying to do the SLP at the end of the row I was like Whaaaaaaaa?

It seems weird to slip the last stitch. It looked weird after I did it, too. ??? Anyone know what I may be doing wrong?

I hope it’s only for that row. You can’t slip the first and last of[I] every[/I] row.

It’s probably done to make things a little tighter on that row. I’d just slip it and do a few more rows to see how it looks.

I’m looking at my copy and it looks like it is just for that row in that section that you do it on both ends. later rows have you slp either at the beginning or end, but not both. it looks like the first row of the “upper back” and “skinny strap” and “upper front” sections each start that way. I haven’t made mine yet- but it is on the list!

Thanks for your reply Ingrid!

It’s not just that one row. You helped Andrea when she was in a confusing spot just before that (I saw it in the archives, thanks!). It says to split the front and back (with some confusion about which was which, but that is resolved). Then it says to start with this foundation row (77 sts on needle):

Foundation row (RS): One stitch is on the right hand needle from last BO. K1 from left needle, then P1, SSK, K across row to last 5 sts, K2TOG, P1, K2.

Next row (WS): SLP, P1, K1, P across row to last 3 sts, K1, P1, SLP.

Next row (RS): K2, P1, SSK, K across row to last 5 sts, K2TOG, P1, K2.

[B]Repeat these 2 rows 11 times.[/B]

The back row now has 53 sts.

So I am reading that as it needs to be done on each row. What is confusing is what to do with the working yarn when you do that. Then once you turn the work around and try to knit that stitch, it really looks weird. :think:

When I was doing the SLP at the end of each row I must have done it wrong, because the little ribbing border on that side ended up seed stitch. :wall:

Hi MaryK I did not see your reply as I was writing mine. It really looks to me like it is every row, and I couldn’t figure out where to put the working yarn. In front, in back, wrap around??? Argh I am so frustrated. I am really a beginner, this is my 1st garment, so I am learning something new every dang row. My first increases, my first decreases…

I want to finish this thing! Esp before it’s too cold to wear it.

It’s not every row, it’s every other row. That is, you end the RS row knitting two stitches, and then start the WS row by slipping one and purling the second; you end the WS row by purling one and slipping the second, and then start the RS row by knitting both.

…if that makes sense. :slight_smile:

You slip the sts on the WS rows only.

OK I meant on the WS rows only. :teehee: Still, I don’t understand how to deal with the working yarn on the ends of the WS rows when trying to slip the stitch, then turn it around and then start knitting again…

You don’t have to; by slipping the last st, the yarn is left on the WS and ready to knit the first st on the RS row. I’ve tried out a pattern like this and it works really well, better than slipping the first st and knitting the last one.

OK thanks guys. I am going to try again later tonight if things quiet down at work!

:muah:

OK I got it now! I don’t know why I was having so much trouble before. :whoosh:

I think I was just confused about where to put the working yarn. So you leave it in the front, slip the stitch purlwise, and leave it be, so when you turn the work the working yarn is in the back and ready to knit the stitch. I was being a dumbass and wrapping it around and it looked ridiculous. Now my ribbing is lining up! :happydance:

Thanks you guys!!! :muah: