Help w/ CeCe sweater from Chicknits

Hi All!!! I sure hope someday I can help answe questions instead of always being the one to ask them!! This is my first Adv. Beginner project, and I am already lost. I am only to the second part where I start to establish the lace pattern. I am ready to start Row 2, I think I can handle that row too, but at the bottom, this is wehat has totally thrown me for a loop:
Continue in patterns as established to underarm, using the lace chart starting with row 3 for lace sections and working others as they appear, AND AT THE SAME TIME start side shaping on row 8 of lace pattern as follows:
Next Row-INC Row(RS): *Work as established to 1 st before marker, M1, k1, SM’ k1, M1, repeat from * once, work to end of row.

You place markers in row 2. Do I just work everything until I hit the underarm, and then start worrying about the inc??

Please help, thank you!!
Lori

It sounds like you’ll work the lace pattern in between the two markers. When you get to the 8th row in the lace pattern, that’s when you’ll start your increases. HTH

Nope- you do the increase while you’re knitting row 8 of the lace pattern.

So right from the very first row 8, I start increasing??
Lori

Since it’s top-down, you need to do your raglan increases when at the beginning.

I tried to do that first second row, and I came out with too few stitches. I am going to start over once more, and if I can’t get it, I am throwing in the towel on this one.

Ingrid, this pattern starts out at the bottom of the sweater.
Lori

Oops! I just assumed that since you were increasing, you were working the raglan.

It does say to [I]work in established pattern to underarm[/I], so I think you need to work even until you get the body the length you want, and then, when you are on row 8 of the lace pattern up there, you start your raglan increases.

I counted out all of my stitches from the pattern, and wrote that 2nd row down. I have 179 sts., and 167 on my needle, which is what I am supposed to have. This sweater is so beautiful, and I have the perfect yarn, I am just so frustrated!! I may have to go to my LYS tomorrow and they have an open class on Thurs., and have them help me. I really want to make this sweater, and I can do it, I just need to figure it out. I have to run now, but maybe later, if I print out this second row, Ingrid, can you take a look at it??
Lori

I’d be happy to look at it. It is possible that all the rows aren’t supposed to end up with the same number of stitches–many lace patterns do this.

See how many stitches you have to use in row 2 to get to row 3. If it’s 167 going up to 179, you’re good.

This is exactly as it is written in the instructions…
Row 2 (RS): SLP, k1, p1, k1, p1; k3(0,1,3,0,1); work 3(4,4,4,5,5) repeats of Row 2 of Lace Pattern; k5(1,3,3,1,1); PM; k3(1,3,1,3,1); work 8 (9, 9, 10, 10, 11) repeats of Row 2 lace pattern; k3, (1, 3, 1, 3, 1) PM; k5(1,3,3,1,1); work 3(4,4,4,5,5) repeats of row 2 lace pattern; k3(0,1,3,0,1); p1, k1, p1, k2.

This is how I have it written down:
slp, k1, p1, k1, p1.
k2, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, ssk, k2(4 times)
k5, PM, k3
k2, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, ssk, k2(9 times)
k3, PM, k5
k2, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, ssk, k2(4 times)
p1, k1, p1, k2.

Lace Pattern:
Row 2: *K@, K2tog, yo, k1, yo, ssk, k2; repeat from *
All odd rows are purl rows.

Thanks Ingrid, and I hope you can decipher this!!!
Lori

Which size are you making? After the rib st you don’t have any sts before you go into the lace pattern, like for the 2nd or 5th size, then you do 4 pattern repeats which is for the the 2nd,3rd,4th sizes. Next you have k5, pm, k3 before the next lace repeat, which is only done on the 1st size, and then you go on mixing the instructions for different sizes. And yes, the incs and decs in the lace pattern balance out so you will have the same number of sts you start with.

I was just coming on to ask the same question. There is a discrepancy as to what stitches you’re using for your size.

I am doing the second size, or the first number inside of the paranthesis. Sorry I forgot that part!!!
Lori

Then you need to follow just the instructions for that size. Take a highlighter and mark them so you don’t get confused.

Instead of k5, pm, k3 after repeating the lace pattern, you would k1, PM; k1, then 9 more pattern repeats, k1, p, k1, repeat the lace pattern 4 times and end with p1, k1, p1, k2.

That should come out right. The Lace pattern is worked over 9 sts.

Thank You so much. I will let you know tomorrow if I got thru that row, and my hair is still on my head!!! Thank You SO much for your help!!!
Lori

k1, p, k1,

I meant k1, pm, k1… I shoulda been out the door to work as I posted this so it was rushed…

I knew what you meant Suzeeq, thank you. I did not get to that row last night. I have to do the edging all over again, and I was gone most of the night, and just didn’t get that far. Tonight I will get back to that row. I guess I was confused on the paranthesis’s numbers too…if it says 0 for the first number in the paranthesis’ like I am following, does that mean you do not do it at all?? I think it meant you do it once, but 0 extra times…like for the k3(1,3,1,3,1), you have down that I would k1, not k3. I thought that 0 meant I would k3 one time, not k1.
Lori

If there’s a 0 for your size, you don’t do anything, just go on to the next instruction.

I [I]really do[/I] love Knitting Help. You can get such thorough, thoughtful help here.

Don’t know if we thank these Mods often enough!

Yes Mods, Thank You!!! I did it last night, finally!!! I am just new to knitting, I have been knitting just over 1 year, and I haven’t used a circular needle in quite awhile. Thusrday night, I started a row with my thread on the right side, and my row connected. I had to tear out 167 stitches, and then I could only get 166 sts. So, I tore out the next row, and connected it again!! I could NOT figure out what I was doing wrong!! I tore the whole thing out, and started over once more. I got to the Row 2, and one row beyond last night. I was looking at it this morning, and I have one more question?? Doesn’t my work always have to be facing a certain way with circular needles?? Is the RS on a RS row facing me, or facing away from me?? Thank You one more time for your help. I could not have done this w/o you!!
Lori