Help understanding pattern

I am going to knit this swing cardigan https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/simple-spring-swing-cardigan
but am confused about instructions.

BACK: dec 1 st each side every 6 rows 9 (9, 0, 0) times.
I am makng large. What does decreasing 0 times mean?

When there’s a 0 for your size, skip over that direction and go on to the next direction.
Cute jacket!

How do I skip over that step if it says to decrease every 6th row so many times? I am making large.
The next step says every 8 rows 0 (0, 7, 7, 0) times. Do you mean only do the decrease the one time at this step?
I like the cardigan too. I want to try and make the sleeves 3/4 length.

Go on to the next step, the dec every 8 rows, 7 times. That’s the only direction that matters for you. Forget about the earlier direction which only applies to the 1st and 2nd sizes.

You’ll notice that the current direction has a 0 for the 1st and 2nd sizes.

Ahhh! Thank you, I understand. As always, you’ve been a big help. Thanks! Happy New Year salmonmac!

Happy new year to you and everyone!

Thank you!

Hi again salmonmac, I followed your instructions skipping over the step that you said is for the smaller sizes since I am making large. I have 113 sts on which means I should have 99 sts left when done decreasing however the step you said I should move onto (large) says decrease every 12 rows 0 times. Once again I don’t understand what they mean by 0 times?

Also the pattern says decease every 6 rows…, every 8 rows, then every 12 rows which seems to mean I am decreasing for each of these rows? I’m terribly confused.

OK, this can be confusing. It may help to circle the directions for your size before going any further.

For the decreases on the back:
"… dec 1 st each side every 6 rows 9 (9, 0, 0, 0) times, every 8 rows 0 (0, 7, 7, 0) times, then every 12 rows 0 (0, 0, 0, 5) times – 81 (90, 99, 108, 116) sts. "

The bolded directions are the only ones that apply to your size. Disregard everything else.
When you decrease one stitch on each side 7 times, that’ll be 14sts dec (113-14=99)

Thank you for being so patient. I’ve been a knitter for years but only easy patterns. Wish companies would explain instructions better for beginner’s like me.
Thank you again for your help. One way or another I wll knit this sweater.

2 Likes

Yes, you will. Come back anytime and ask whatever. Looking forward to a photo of the finished sweater.

I hate patterns too.