Help understanding pattern for saturday market bag

Help! :oo:

:scratchinghead: I’ve been trying to figure it out the whole day, but i still don’t get it …

Call me stupid but I can’t even get the first row right… :shrug:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2] Row 1 – (RS) – k1 yo, sl 1, k1, yo, psso the knit st and the following yo; repeat from[/SIZE][/FONT]

It’s mostly the psso’s i don’t get. I understand that i psso the knit stitch over the yo… but then do i psso the yo over the next repeats yo? (the first yo after the *-mark) :thinking:

I’d be soooo greatful over any clarification since i’m so tired of trying it out over and over again in different ways realizing after a while that it just wasn’t so, and having to frog it. I MUST HAVE THIS BAG!

Pattern is here:
http://www.magknits.com/June06/patterns/market.htm

I would imagine that you only psso the knit and the yo…then restart your pattern…*yo, sl1, k1, yo…then psso the knit and yo again.

katiebug is right. If you think of it as:

1. yo
  2. slip
  3. knit
  4. yo

then you pass stitch 2 over stitches 3 and 4. Have fun with this bag - I just used mine this morning!

:muah: Thanks a lot! I think i quite get it now! *lightbulb-moment" :hug:

Just wondering…

Could you knit this on a circular needle instead of making two sides? If so, would you have to do anything differently in the pattern? Thanks.

There’s a KAL for this and several people have done it in the round, you might want to look at that.

I did it in the round, and it worked okay, but not great. I started from the top instead of the bottom and ended with a 3 needle bind off. My pattern stitches got off here and there, so it looks a little funky, but it holds groceries, so that’s all I care about! Someone else did it in the round, but still treated each side as a separate entity (markers in between) and I think I’ll try that the next time.

RuthK is correct as I had exactly the same problem with the pattern and asked about it here and I think one of the mods answered. I used circs of course on the top but I think one could make the bag in one long rectangle rather than one sections (reducing seams to two edges and not three). I didn’t use the right yarn and wound up picking up extra stitches on the top. Because I didn’t use the right yarn it’s not going to be any good as a shopping bag tho :slight_smile:

I realised I should be able to post an image of it. I just tried but was told the image exceeds the size…I thought someone said the site auto adjusted that now?

Ok, I’m going to make all the other questions look brilliant by comparison.
I really don’t get this pattern at all. I tried contacting the designer
(email bounce) and looking it up on the web, so I hope you all can explain
this to me.

My problem isn’t with the first row, it’s the second and fourth. Unless
I’m doing something radically wrong in the first row, I just can’t
understand the instructions. Here they are:

Lace Background Stitch -
Row 1 – (RS) – k1 yo, sl 1, k1, yo, psso the knit st and the following yo;
repeat from

Row 2 – P2, drop the yo from the proceeding row; rep from end p1.
Row 3 – K2, rep from * of Row 1, end k1.
Row 4 – P3 * drop the yo from the proceeding row, P2; rep from*

So, at the end of Row 1, you have this:

1. yarn over (2 stitches, right?)
  2. a knit stitch
  3. yarn over
    (44 times)
    creating a grand total of 5 stitches each. No? Yes?

On Row 2, you pearl 2 stitches (the yo stitches), and there you are at a
knit stitch. What do you do with that? P2 again? and then drop the yo
from the end?
There are two yarnovers in each set of stitches, which one are you
dropping?

Then when I get to the fourth row it’s the same question, only worse,
because of the initial P3.

Obviously, I’m reading something incorrectly. Yes, I’m a new knitter,
how’d you guess? :teehee:

1. yarn over (2 stitches, right?)
  2. a knit stitch
  3. yarn over
    (44 times)
    On Row 2, you pearl 2 stitches (the yo stitches), and there you are at a knit stitch. What do you do with that? P2 again? and then drop the yo from the end? There are two yarnovers in each set of stitches, which one are you dropping?

On row 2 you drop the YO that didn’t have the slip st passed over it, that one is one of the p2 sts.