Help understanding a pattern statement

Hi, I’m a new knitter and have just started work on my teddy bear and am having the hardest time understanding what the following means:

Cont in garter st and inc 1st at each end of next row and 6 foll 6th rows. (36 sts)

Any ideas?

Keep knitting in garter stitch and increase at the beginning and end of the next row, and every 6th row after that 6 more times. That will bring you up to 36 sts.

Garter stitch means to knit every row.

Did you maybe leave something out of this part? Or they made a typo in the directions?: “and inc 1st at each end of next row and 6 foll 6th rows. (36 sts)” I have a feeling that should read something like “6 more times, every 6th row following”.

No matter which, you are going to increase 2 sts on the increase rows. There is a good video on that here, and my favorite increase is the M1L or M1F, because it’s invisible. So on the increase rows, you will knit 1 st, then M1F, then knit to the end of the row but have 1 st left, then M1F again, and then knit the last st of that row. Be sure to make those increases at the ends of the rows, the way I wrote it out. If you do it somewhere else in the row, the shaping won’t come out right.

They want you to do this every 6th row. So you’ll have an increase row, and then just knit 5 rows plain, then another increase row, then 5 more rows plain, etc.

Here’s how to figure out how many times they want you to do this-- because sometimes they will tell you what the increase row will look like, and then say do this 6 times, but sometimes they will tell you how to do the increase row and then say do it 6 MORE times. But you know you need to end up with 36 sts. So if you begin with 24 sts, you’ll have 6 increase rows total (6 X 2 = 12). But if you start with 22 sts, then you’ll do an increase row and then 6 MORE increase rows, which will be 7 increase rows (7 X 2 = 14).

Make sense?

Hi, I definetly get what you mean. It’s not the greatest pattern in terms of understanding, as I have another question…another part of the pattern (this is for the ears)…for this I will just write out the whole thing:

Cast on 13 sts. K4 rows
Dec 1 st at each end of next row and 3 foll alt rows. (5sts). K 1 row.
Inc 1 st at each end of next row and 3 foll alt rows. (13 sts). K 4 rows.
Bind off.

I understand the knits, decreases, increases etc…but I don’t understand what 3 foll alt rows mean. Does that mean increase 3 on every other row? To me that doesn’t seem right. Especially based on my previous question about re: 6 foll 6th rows.

I hope this is making sense too :slight_smile:

It means dec [I]at each end[/I] of the next row and every other row [I]3 more times[/I]. So you dec 2 sts on each of 4 RS rows.

Then inc 1 st at each end of the next row and every other row 3 more times. 2 incs on each of the next 4 RS rows.

I"m so glad I found this forum!!! I thought for sure my teddy bear would never even get started. Thanks so much for everyones help! I’m sure I’ll be back :slight_smile:

Hi! I’m also knitting this pattern, and I found you guys comments which was really helpful. I just need help for the part where this pattern says:

“Cast on 8 sts. K20 rows…Cont in garter stitch and cast on 14 sts at beg of next 2 rows”

Does that mean I cast off after knitting 20 rows of 8 stitches then cast on 14? I’m kinda confused, especially that term “beg”. The patter says itms begging of next two rows. So I don’t know what to do.

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
Don’t cast off any sts. You want to cast on the new sts at the beginning (beg) of the next 2 rows. Here’s a video:

Watch the whole video which shows 3 ways of casting on. I agree that the first one isn’t the best method. The knit or cable cast ons are better.
Good luck with the teddy bear and enjoy the knitting.

Thanks! @salmonmac

Hi :blush:
I’m knitting my first real pattern, I have a statement: rib 1, work 2 tog (rib 5, work 2 tog) 9 times…help please??

The pattern is in some rib stitch pattern, k1p1 or perhaps k2p2 rib. The directions are to work one stitch, then work the next two sts together. Maybe k1, p2 tog. “Work” means either a knit or a purl stitch, as the stitch pattern requires.
The sts in parentheses are repeated 9 times, so work 5 rib sts and then work 2 together, work 5, work 2 tog, etc.

Ok, just for me to confirm, it is a 3x3 rib, so would I rib 1 stitch according to pattern stitch 2 together, then rib 5 stitches according to pattern 9 times?

Rib 1, k2tog, rib 5, work 2tog, rib 5, work 2tog. It’s the (rib 5, work 2tog) that’s repeated 9 times.