Help! Triangular Shawl, can't even begin

Hi everyone! I am dying to start this project and am stuck in the very beginning which is so annoying since my hands are itching, ha!

This is the beg of the pattern: how do I have 3 stitches if I cast on 1?

Wrap
CO 1 st.
First row, Set-up for stitch pattern (RS): [K1, p1, k1] into the 1 st on needle. 3 sts.
Next row (WS): K1, p1, k1.
Next row, Inc row: [K1, p1, k1] into first st, p1, [k1, p1, k1] into last st. 7 sts.
Next row: *K1, p1; rep from * to last st, k1.

Thank you in advance.

You’re working a double increase in the one cast on stitch. [K1, p1, k1] [B]into the 1 st on needle
[/B]

What pattern are you doing? I always like to see.

Northfield by Amy christoffers
I’m
Going to
Check out the video.

I understood how to get the first 3 stitches. Do you understand what it means “into first stitch on needle?” And how do you get 7 stitches after that increase row?

Next row, Inc row: [K1, p1, k1] into first st, p1, [k1, p1, k1] into last st. 7 sts.

Work the double inc in the first stitch of the row. - 3 sts
p1 - 1 st
Work the double increase in the last stitch of the row - 3 sts

Total - 7 sts

Thank you so much! I don’t know why it’s so confusing. Maybe the language? Not sure… It doesn’t seem as easy and i’ve had to restart a couple of times… Hoping it’s just because is late.
Thank you so much!!

Sometimes these things are confusing just because they can and late doesn’t help. Glad I could help.

First of all, for that first stitch, I’d do a loop, the way you would to begin casting on. But reverse the working yarn and tail to the opposite hand. You want to be able to pull on the tail to tighten the loop because once you work three stitches into it, you’re going to have a big, sloppy hole. You’ll still get the hole, but you can just pull on the tail to tighten it up.

When instructions have a () or a [] around them, everything enclosed is one direction. So, it’s telling you that when it says “into the first stitch,” it’s referring to everything in the [].

So, you start with a loop. For the first row, you knit into the first stitch, then before taking that off the needle, you purl into it, and then knit into it again and [I]then[/I] take it off the needle.

For your increase row, it says to do the same thing into two of the stitches on the row.