Help! This is my first sweater

At the end of the instructions on shaping the neck and shoulders it has a note “neck shaping is introduced while shoulder shaping is still in progress; read the next sections all the way through before proceeding. At each armhole edge BO 6 sts once, then BO 6 sts once. At the same time, at each neck edge, BO 3 sts once.”. I’m a little confused can anyone explain so I know if I have done it right?:eyes:

It’s not quite as scary as it looks like. :slight_smile: Basically, you’re starting the neck shaping (that is, bind-offs to form the neck edge) while you’re still dealing with the armholes; the pattern lists them by type (armhole shaping, then neck shaping) rather than by row.

Basically, because you can only bind off at the beginning of the row, you want to worry about armhole shaping when you’re moving from the armhole to the neck (that is, starting at the armhole), and worry about neck shaping when you’re moving from the neck to the armhole (that is, starting at the neck).

Breaking it down, you have:

1. row going from armhole to neck – BO 6 sts, then follow what you’ve been doing (probably just straight knitting or purling)
  2. row going from neck to armhole – BO 3 sts, then follow what you’ve been doing
  3. row going from armhole to neck – BO 6 sts, then follow what you’ve been doing

There may be further instructions, depending on the pattern, but that’s the general idea.