Help stuck on v-neck

I have taken this sweater down too many times back to the center st startting point the sweater i’m working on is http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/june99_knit.html

FRONT
Work as for back to armholes.—
Armhole and neck shaping
Next row (RS) Bind off 8 (9, 9) sts, work to center k st and place this st on a holder for v-neck, work to end. Cont armhole shaping, AT SAME TIME, dec 1 st each side of neck edge every other row 23 (27, 27) times-20 (26, 37) sts each side. When same length as back, bind off for shoulders.
am i missing a step because v shape never forms…

placing that 1 stitch on a holder effectivly separates the work into two pieces. It looks like you would have to work the two sides serparately too deceasing at the armhole edge and the neck edge giving you the V.

You’re working each side of the V with a separate ball of yarn, right?

Next row (RS) Bind off 8 (9, 9) sts, work to center k st and place this st on a holder for v-neck, work to end. Cont armhole shaping, [B]AT SAME TIME[/B], dec 1 st each side of neck edge every other row 23 (27, 27) times-20 (26, 37) sts each side.

You’re reducing sts both in the armhole AND at the neckline (as you look at piece, one side):

[COLOR=“White”]KKKK[/COLOR]KK[COLOR=“White”]KKKKK[/COLOR]
[COLOR=“White”]KKK[/COLOR]KKK[COLOR=“White”]KKKKK[/COLOR]
[COLOR=“White”]KK[/COLOR]KKKK[COLOR=“White”]KKKKK[/COLOR]
[COLOR=“White”]K[/COLOR]KKKKKK[COLOR=“White”]KKKK[/COLOR]
KKKKKKKKKKK (armhole)

working both sides seperate has done the trick…sweater looking great…frustration level down

:thumbsup: