Help ! Serious shaping problem

Hello - I have been knitting for years but this pattern has got me stumped. I contacted the publisher but cant seem to get their explanation, so I’m hoping there is someone on this board that can help. Basically They sent me the pattern again and said it was the latest version and told me that the sleeves aren’t strictly set in?

This is the shaping for the back armhole shaping. I’m knitting the second last size.
Shape armholes:
Keeping pattern correct, cast off 5 (6, 7, 7, 7) sts at beg of next 2 rows.
88 (98, 106, 114, 124) sts.
Dec 1 st at each end of next 4 (6, 6, 8, 8) rows, then on foll 5 (6, 6, 7, 8) alt rows.
70 (76, 82, 84, 92) sts
Cont straight until armhole measures 21 (22, 23, 24, 26) cm, ending with RS facing for next row.
Shape shoulders and back neck:
Keeping pattern correct
Next row (RS): Cast o 4 (5, 5, 5, 7) sts, work in pattern until there are 16 (17, 19, 19, 19) sts on right hand needle, turn, leaving rem sts on a stitch holder.
Work each side of the neck separately.
Keeping pattern correct, dec 1 st at neck edge of next 4 rows and at the same time cast o 4 (4, 5, 5, 5) sts at the beg of the next 2 RS rows.
Work 1 row.
Cast o rem 4 (5, 5, 5, 5) sts.
With right side facing, slip centre 30 (32, 34, 36: 38) sts onto
a stitch holder. Work neckline to match rst side, reversing shapings.

Notice it says continue til armhole measures 24 cm ( the size I’m knitting) then start shoulder and neck shaping.

This is now the sleeve shaping.
. Note at this point the sleeve length can be shortened or lengthened to suit taste.
Cast off 5 (6, 7, 7, 7) sts at the beg of next 2 rows.
58 (60, 68, 72, 74) sts.
Dec 1 st at each end of next 4 (6, 6, 8, 9) rows.
Dec 1 st at each end of 2 foll alt rows, and 4 foll fourth rows. 38 (36, 44, 44, 44) sts.
Dec 1 st at each end of 3 (2, 4, 2, 2) foll alt rows, then 4 (4, 6, 8, 8) foll rows.
(24sts).
Cast off 4sts at the beg of next 2 rows.
Cast off rem 16sts.
The tension is 20 rows by 27 rows . I make the total shaping rows after the two 7 stitch cast off rows 8+4+16+4+8+2 =42. This plus the 8 stitches across each side of the top of the sleeve is not anywhere near 24 cm in length? Is it me?!!

Any advice would be most gratefully received - I’ve already finished the back and the sleeves so any help save a complete redo. THanks Kitty9

Don’t do a complete redo. You probably need to reknit the sleeve caps however. Since you have the sleeves finished, see how they line up with the armhole. Even with the top of the sleeve, they do sound short for the armhole length. See how short and see where you think is the best place to extend the cap.
You may not have to extend by that many rows but perhaps in the area of the 4 following 4th rows. Spreading out the decreases here may be enough to do the trick (say the 4 following 6th rows or something like that) but see if that’s the best place to extend the shape.

What pattern are you following?

Thank you so much! I will try this. The pattern is Twist and Shout by Monica Russel, UK Alpaca site. I have noticed now that the front cable panel pattern is lopsided - It has a column of two stitches on one side and three on the other in the picture and the instructions! I am a pretty good knitter but not a good adapter of patterns. Kitty

Very pretty sweater.

Let us know how it comes out and post a photo if you’d like. We’d love to see the finished sweater.