Help Reading Pattern

Brand new to knitting … my first project underway. Well, it’s my second “attempt.” The first was an impulse buy at a knitting shop in Charlottesville, VA. Beautiful wool warn at “fine” weight with a pattern for fingerless gloves and 5 double pointed needles. What in the heck was I thinking? The clerk told me it was an easy pattern. After 8 hours of utter frustration, I decided to get real and start with something easy like an afghan.

So, I have the knittinghelp app and love it. I’m struggling with combining a few of the knitting terms, however.

Here’s what the pattern says (I find it easier to keep track of them vertically):

Row 2:
Step 1: SL 1k,
Step 2: k1
Step 3: sl 1p
Step 4: k1
Step 5: psso
Step 6: K1B Inc

Step 7: *k2
Step 8: sl 1
Step 9: k1
Step 10: psso
Step 11: K1B Inc
Step 12: rep from * to last st
Step 13: k1

I have the following questions:

Step 1 - is that slip a stitch knit-wise?
Step 3 - is that slip a stitch perl-wise?
Step 12 - Does that mean start over at * (Step 7), but not sure which is the last step?

Oh, and the other note about my first “attempt” I could not, for the life of me, keep my stitches a comfortable tension. The tips of my fingers were practically raw from trying to force the needle through the stitches. I’m not sure if the size of the needle contributes to this, but hope my new size 10 will be better than the 5’s I tried my first project with. :wink:

Thanks for the help.
Deb from Richmond

Step 1 - is that slip a stitch knit-wise? [I]Yes[/I]
Step 3 - is that slip a stitch perl-wise? [I]Yes[/I]
Step 12 - Does that mean start over at * (Step 7), but not sure which is the last step? [I]Yes[/I], it means repeat from step 7 until you get to the last st (stitch), then k1
Try practicing a bit with some spare yarn if you can. I don’t think the tightness is so much related to needle size as it is to a death grip on the needles and the yarn. That said, the size 10 needles may be easier to work with because of the larger size.

Thanks, salmonmac. Just confirming, Step 12’s interpretation of the last stitch is Step 11, correct?

I think I’m way over-analyzing these directions. :wink:

And K1B Inc means what? Can’t find that one in the glossary.

The first slip st in this pattern is slipped knitwise. The second one sl 1p tells you to slip purlwise too, though it’s a decrease. This is going to make the slip st twisted, you may prefer it untwisted and can slip it knitwise which is usually what you do when it’s part of a decrease because it’s part of a decrease (that’s the psso part of it). Everything between the 2 *s is what you repeat.

I have two more questions, please:

Where can I find instructions for K1B Inc?

And if my instructions said to CO 121 stitches, when they refer to a row I would think that means some variation that ends up across the same number of stitches, so Row 2 below … the repeat section within the * must mean to keep repeating that pattern until I’ve hit 121 (or whatever the number is minus what was done in advance of starting it)?

I’ve almost got it. I now have a good handle on S1, K1, psso. It really helps to just knit row-after-row, then perl some, then experiment and see what it does. The only way to learn! :yay:

Row 2:
Step 1: SL 1k,
Step 2: k1[COLOR=“Red”] (Does this k1 mean the same thing as 1k above, just transposed?)[/COLOR]
Step 3: sl 1p
Step 4: k1
Step 5: psso
Step 6: K1B Inc

Step 7: *k2
Step 8: sl 1
Step 9: k1
Step 10: psso
Step 11: K1B Inc
Step 12: rep from * to last st
Step 13: k1

Step one and 2 are slip 1 knitwise, and knit one. When you slip a stitch you just moved it from the L to R needle and don’t work it; knitwise refers to how you insert the R needle into it, as if you were going to make a knit stitch.

The k1B inc should be explained in your pattern, but it’s probably the same as the KRL on the increases page

For row 3, steps 1-6 will use 5sts. The repeat section, steps 7-12 will use 5 sts each time you repeat and then you have step 13 which will use 1 stitch. So you use 5sts to begin, do 23 repeats of 5sts and end with 1 stitch for a total of 121sts.