Help reading pattern - following alternative row

Hi, I am knitting a baby jumper and am on shaping the neck and am not sure how to interpret the pattern. It’s a pattern from a book - Patons book 1271 pattern 14.

The instructions for shaping the neck are:
Cast off 5 sts, patt to end…24 sts.
Dec one st at neck edge in every foll alt row until 18 sts rem.

Does the instruction mean that after I do the cast off 5 row I cast off one on at the neck edge in the next row and then every alternative row, OR after the cast off 5 row I knit another row then cast off one at the neck edge in the next row and every following alternative row? I’m wondering if I was to cast off one in the next row and every alternative row if the pattern would explicitly say that.

The pattern is clear that for shaping the shoulder you cast off 6 sts at the beginning of the row. If, when I shape the neck, I use the cast off 5, cast off one in the next row method, when I come to the shoulder shaping I am not at the shoulder edge at the beginning of the row. I think that’s my answer, but I don’t want to add an extra row that shouldn’t be there.

thank you!
Susan

It’s been a very long time since I’ve knitted a jumper (aka sweater). If I remember right, the 5 CO stitches is the beginning of the neck shaping and is part of the neck edge. So you would decrease on that same edge. But I’d wait for confirmation from someone with more recent experience knitting one just to be sure.

Cast off 5, work to the end of row, work one row and on the next row, decrease one stitch. You can cast off one here or you can k2tog as you prefer.
Looks like lovely sweaters in this book.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/patons-1271-modern-classic-baby-knits

1 Like

Thank you for your help!