Help reading my pattern

Hi everyone!

This is my first lace project and I’m a little confused about a one of the techniques called for in my pattern - any help would be greatly appreciated!

On my 5th row, the pattern goes *k1, yo 2 times, drop 3, insert RHN under all 4 strands of the dropped dtd of the prev 4 rows, then work k1-p1-k1-p1 around these 4 strands…

I’m good up until the part about k1-p1-k1-p1 around these 4 strands - I’m really unsure of what exactly that means, especially because I’ve picked up those 4 strands with my RHN - if I’m knitting or purling into them, shouldn’t they be on my LHN??

Thank you again to anyone who can provide me with any insight!

Jen

It does say to insert the R needle into them, so that seems to imply they’re on the left needle. It also says insert under all 4 strands of the dropped sts from the [I]previous 4 rows[/I]. So you’re not doing that to the sts you just made, but to the ones from previous rows which will be on the left needle.

Do you have a link to the pattern, or to a picture? That might make it a little more clear.

I unfortunately don’t - I ordered it with the yarn for this project, but I can type out the directions for the full 6 rows…

CO 102 sts (15 st multiple + 12 extra)

Row 1 (RS): *k2, k2tog, k2to, yo 3 times, ssk, k2togtbl, k2, p3; rep from * to last 12 sts, k2, k2tog, k2to, yo 3 times, ssk, k2togtbl, k2. (results in 14 st multiple + 11 extra)

Row 2: p2, p2togtbl, yo 3 times, drop 3, p2tog, p2, * k3, p2, p2togtbl, yo 3 times, drop 3, p2tog, p2; rep from * across row. (results in 12 st multiple + 9 extra)

Row 3: k1, k2tog, yo 3 times, drop 3, k2togtbl, k1, p3; rep from * to last 6 sts, k1, k2tog, yo 3 times, drop 3, k2togtbl, k1. (results in 10 st multiple + 7 extra)

Row 4: p2togtbl, yo 3 times, drop 3, p2tog, * k3, p2togtbl, to 3 times, drop 3, p2tog; rep from * across row. (results in 8 st multiple + 5 extra)

Row 5: *k1, yo 2 times, drop 3, insert RHN under all 4 strands of the dropped sts of the prev 4 rows, then work k1-p1-k1-p1 around these 4 strands, yo 2 times, k1, p3; rep from * to last 5 sts, k1, yo 2 times, drop 3, insert RHN under all 4 strands of the dropped sts of the prev 4 rows, then work k1-p1-k1-p1 around these 4 strands, yo 2 times, k1. (results in 12 st multiple + 10 extra)

Row 6: p1, p1 into yo of prev row, k1-p1 into yo of prev row, k1-p1 into yo of prev row, p1, * k3, p1, p1 into yo of prev row, k1-p1 into yo of prev row, p4, p1 into yo of prev row, k1-p1 into yo of prev row, p1. (results in 15 st multiple + 12 extra)

thank you so much!

Jen

so just to clairfiy, what I though I was doing was picking up the 4 rows of drop 3 with my RHN - though I’m a bit fuzzy on this part so I could be mistaken! :slight_smile:

Yeah, I think that’s what you do - on the previous rows you YO 3 times, but drop the next 3, then on this row you pick up the strands from the dropped stitches and k p k p into them, so you’re making 4 new sts. Try that on a smaller sample, say 27 sts, and see how that works out.

Thanks for your quick answer!

I’ve tried a smaller square of it a bunch of times just to see if I could get the pattern going, and this has been my downfall each time and I rip out and start again… What seems to be confusing me is when I pick up the 4 dropped stitches with my RHN - I have my working yarn and all 4 dropped stitches on the RHN and then I’m stuck. Do I transfer the dropped stitches onto my LHN so that I can knit and purl into them? And if so, does it matter how the dropped stitches are arranged on the needle?

Jen

Insert the tip of the RHN under the 4 strands and wrap your working yarn around it to knit; you don’t lift them onto the right needle at all. If it’s easier, you can insert the LHN into them as if it were one giant stitch, to bring them up to knit and purl into them.