Help reading a pattern

Hello i am new to reading patterns and am knitting a childs hoodie. The pattern states the following for the back, does it mean decrease just 1 stitch and then knit until measures 19cm or does it mean decrease 1 stictch on every row at neck.

It says decrease 1 st at the neck and knit until the piece measures 19cm, decrease 1st and put part on hold

Thank you

I’m reading it as decrease 1 stitch then knit until it’s 19cm, then decrease again (could be wrong as it sounds a bit strange to me doing it like that). Is your pattern online?

1 Like

Welcome to KH! We usually ask for a link to the pattern or info so we can find it online if possible because it can really help. It could be that decreasing one when you start and another before putting stitches on hold is to give you the correct number of stitches for the rest of what you’re working on. Will the held stitches be used for the hood?

Hello thank you for replying i did reply to the notification i had via e mail not sure if you received it? I have tried to attach on here but it won’t let me saying not authorised could you please check emails?
Thank you
Sunnymit

Hello thank you for replying i did reply to the notification i had via e mail not sure if you received it? I have tried to attach on here but it won’t let me saying not authorised could you please check emails?

Hi and welcome!
You may be able to post a link now, however the pattern name and source may be enough.
Can you quote exactly the row or direction that is causing problems?

Off hand, it’s saying decrease one stitch at the neck edge and then continue knitting without decreases until the piece measures 19cm. Is this one shoulder on the back or the entire back?

Hi thank you for replying. It still wont let me attach the pattern

hope you will be able to see it
Thank you

Sorry, I didn’t get anything in my emails but your attachment has shown up now! It still looks like you just decrease one stitch then knit to your desired length before decreasing by one again.

1 Like

Thank you. So i have split my kniiting now into two lots of 72 would the back piece be the first 72 on the needle ? Sorry at the moment i just cannot see where the neck will be.
Never knitted something like this before may be a little to ambitious for a beginner😂

I’m finding it really hard to tell! Might just be me, but I can’t tell from the instructions. I’ve never actually knitted a cardigan, hoody or jumper that wasn’t for a doll :joy: I’m guessing there wasn’t a schematic (diagram of finished article)?

This is being worked side to side so the neck is just going to be a slit dividing front and back. You can consider the first 72sts as the back. That’ll work.

Thank you so much. If i have any other problems could i contact you or do i have to oost on the forum?

Come back here anytime with questions or comments. Have fun working on this sweater. We’d love to see a photo when you finish.

Thank you.

Hello sorry to bother you again. I am on the front right side now and have to decrease 1st 6 times at neck edge.
Does this mean decrese 1st then knit to end, turn and knit back to neck decrease 1st turn then decrease 1st again and so on?
Thank you

What is the source of the pattern, the yarn company or knitting site? I see that it’s called Hooded Jacket but that’s pretty generic.
The pattern should tell you whether to dec every row or every other row or what. In the absence of any direction, I’d go with every row. It may help to see the photo of the pattern in order to see the neckline shape.

The pattern says decease 1st at neck edge 6 times. Sorry it was a free pattern i downloaded but cannot remember from where.

1 Like

It’s a guess, but I’d decrease every other row at the neck edge.
You can always email the site and ask them to clarify.
https://hobbii.com/hooded-jacket-little-one-s

Great thank you once again.

Hi sorry to bother you again i am now on the front left piece i have cast on 66 sts do i start increasing 1st straight away on every other row x6 and then garter st until measures 17cm. It says to mirror front right pc