Help Reading a Crochet Pattern

Hi all! I’m new to crochet and would love to make this teether for the baby girl in my belly, but am struggling to understand the pattern! I understand all of the abbreviations and I know how to do all of the stitches called for, where I’m struggling is with the number of stitches. Two things in particular I have questions on:

1. Does “sc 2, inc” mean one single crochet in each of the next two stitches, and then two single crochets in the third stitch? Or would this indicate the increase goes into the second stitch?

2. What do the numbers in parenthesis at the end of each instruction mean? The total number of stitches, or the number of times you repeat AFTER doing the first? Would an increase count as one or two?

Very appreciative of any help with this! Thank you! :slight_smile:

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 12.04.03 PM

The number in the parentheses at the end of the row is the stitch count after competing the row.

This means to “sc in the next 2 sts, inc in the third stitch.” You repeat that three sts pattern to the end of the row. That is counting 3 sts as in the count of used sts. Since one sts is an increase that makes 4 for each of the three repetitions for a total of 12.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I understand now. :slight_smile: Really appreciate your help!