Help pleaseee First time doing pattern

Hi everyone this is the first time I have attempting to follow a pattern and take on the project of a sweater but I am stuck can anyone help me? What does it mean when it says dec 1st each side of next row, then every 1 1/2" 4 times more - 100sts? Thanks for all the help.
knitting:

Knitting is a whole new language to learn isn’t it. :slight_smile: When you don’t understand something try to break it down.

1st - decrease at each end of the next row. Usually decreasing is done on right side (RS) so it’s probably a RS row. Your pattern may tell you what what decrease it suggests. Now either put a removable marker ON a stitch in that row (not on the needle because you’ll need to measure for the next decrease) If you don’t have removable markers you can take some lighter weight yarn, string, dental floss and put it through a few stitches on that row.

2nd - continue knitting for 1.5 inches from marker/string and do another decrease and add another removable marker or string on a stitch.

3rd - continue knitting for 1.5 inches from marker/string and do another decrease and add another removable marker or string on a stitch.

4th - continue knitting for 1.5 inches from marker/string and do another decrease and add another removable marker or string on a stitch.

Now you should have 100 stitches according to your pattern.

Does that help?

Thank you so much! Your explaination even helped to clear up some other confusing parts of the pattern.

:thumbsup: Oh good! Be sure to share a pic in What’cha Knittin’ when you’re done!