Help please? Ambiguous "decrease as set'?

Hi there, I’m very new to knitting and have just started my first shaped knit…and got stuck. I’d really appreciate your advice - unpicking mistakes seems to end in unpicking the whole thing so I don’t dare proceed.
It’s a Rowan Big Wool jumper with raglan sleeves (called Cara). The instructions for the back are to cast on 52 stitches and do stocking stitch to 44 cm, which I’ve done. The bit I don’t understand is as follows:
SHAPE RAGLAN
Cast off 3 stitches at the beginning of next 2 rows. (46 stitches)
Row 1: Knit 1, knit 2 together, knit to last 4 stitches, slip 1 knit 1 pass slip stick over, knit 2. _
Row 2: Purl
Continue decreases as set until 20 stitches remain
.’
I think this means:
Row 1: cast off 3 stitches and then do the K1, k2tog, k to near end etc.
Row 2: cast off 3 stitches and then purl.
Repeat rows 1 & 2 including the cast offs.
But it might mean cast off 3 stitches in stocking stitch only or cast off in Rows 1 & 2 but then when you continue, just repeat rows 1& 2 without additional cast offs? …Or something else…? Can anyone please help?

Welcome to the forum!
Cast of the 3 sts at the beg of the next 2 rows. That’s the underarm. The beginning of the decreases is the k1, k2tog knit to the last 4sts, slip 1, k1, psso, k2.
To continue the decreases as set, repeat row 1 on the right side (RS) rows and row 2 on the wrong side rows (WS) until 20sts remain. That’ll be 2sts decreased on each RS row.

Thank you so much salmonmac! Wish the pattern could have been as clear as you - really helpful also to understand that the casting off is the underarm - I tend to knit each stitch at a time with no idea what the effect will be. I was so frustrated this weekend trying to figure it out. Still got a couple of hours left of the weekend to do this so here goes…Thanks again :):smiley:

1 Like

Well today is Tuesday, so how did it go?