Help on pattern instructions!

So, I am a new-ish knitter and I am knitting a jacket and everything has gone smoothly up to this point; I’m almost done with the back (working from the bottom up). I’m running into problems with the shoulder and neck shaping though. Here are the instructions:

I have 72 stitches

BO 7 sts, work 24 sts; join second ball of yarn and BO center 14 sts, work to end. Working BOTH SIDES AT THE SAME TIME, BO 7 sts at beginning of next row, then 7 sts at the beginning of next 4 rows and AT THE SAME TIME, BO 5 sts at each neck edge twice.

My big problem I’m having is how do I BO 5 sts at each neck edge? I can’t get rid of the extra loop! If someone could just break this down into simple terms for me it would be much appreciated because I am over thinking this way too much haha!

Welcome to KnittingHelp!

BO 7 sts, work 24 sts; join second ball of yarn and BO center 14 sts, work to end. You’ll have two sections of sts each with its own ball of yarn and there’ll be a gap in the middle for the neck of 14 bound off sts. Now you’re going to turn to the wrong side row bind off 7sts and work back to the neck edge. Drop the ball of yarn, pick up the first ball of yarn and BO 5sts at the neck edge, then finish the wrong side row. You’ll continue like this binding off at the arm hole edge and at the neck edge.
Since you bind off at the beginning of the section of knitting (either at the armhole edge or at the neck edge) and not at the end of the row, you won’t have the problem of the leftover stitch.

You are a saint, thank you so much! :smiley: