Help on a vintage pattern

I don’t know if any of you remember, but about a year ago I decided that I was going to make an afghan that my great grandma had made. I had given up on it, and now I’m ready to try it again. But this time I found a pattern that was published a few years after the one that I was originally been using, and it has better terminology than the other pattern, so I decided to try that. But, I’m stuck, again lol. Anyway, I’m not exactly sure where I mess up, but when I get to row 36, I have between 3 and 4 stitches too many for the 10 repeats. If anyone could me, it would be very much appreciated. Also, any advice for a pattern from the 1940’s would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!

Pattern Link

You need 35 sts to do row 36, the previous written out row, 24, ends up with 23…plus the incs on the 12 rows in between… which should end up at 35. Check to see what your st count is at the end of row 34, or whether you added extra sts at the end of rows 25 to 34.

Thanks. I just counted my stitches, and I come up with 35. The way I was counting was how I read the pattern, and how many stitches I was thinking should be used, which from I could make of it was 3. So, going through, before I started the row, I counted the first k1 and then went from there, counting the repeats. When I get to the point where I’m supposed to k2, I have 4 stitches. So, I honestly don’t know where I’m going wrong. I’ve done the pattern up to this point about 5 times now, and I always come up with the same thing.

Well lets look at that row - K 1, * K 2 tog, K 1, yo; repeat from * 10 times, K 2, inc. in last st.

k1, then k2tog, k1, yo, k2tog, k1 yo, and so on across the row until you have 3 sts left, then k2, kfb. Either you forgot the single k1 at the beginning, or missed one in the k2tog, k1 yo repeat.

Ok, so I started over again. I got to the 24th row, and I realized that there were enough stitches for 7 pattern repeats, instead of the 6 required. I remembered reading on the pattern notes of the one of the people’s projects on ravelry, that after you finish the first pattern repeat, you do the stitches that are after astrick. So I tried that, and I still come up with a stitch more than I’m supposed to have. Sooooo, I’m really frustrated now, and don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I’ve double checked myself to make sure that I have the required number of stitches. I don’t know what’s going on.

Okay, going into Row 23, there’s 23 sts, then you inc on that row, so you end up with 24 for row 24. And yes you do repeat the k2tog k1 yo 7 times total - it’s given once, then says repeat 6 times. It would be helpful if pattern writers stuck the word ‘more’ in there, as in ‘repeat 6 [I]more[/I] times’…

Anyway, you do the repeats until there’s 3 sts left, then k2, kfb, and you don’t have to count the number of times you repeat. But doing the repeat 7 times 3 sts is 21, plus the k1 at the beginning and the last 3 sts and that takes 25 which is one more than you have…!!

Any chance you could stick another increase in there somewhere? I think their row numbering is off anyhow, so just knit every row with an inc until you get to 25 sts. Then you do row 24 and you’ll end up with 26 sts. Do 11 more rows and you’ll have 37 sts - just what you need for row 36.

Try that, I bet it works with the extra couple rows in there.

Thanks so much for your help Susie. I think I finally got it worked out. I was talking to someone who had done the pattern and she explained to me about the whole pattern repeat thing. So, when I got past row 24, I ended up with 25 sts. I think it had to do with the yo and then the increase? I dunno, I’m just happy that I got there lol. But now that I understand that you do the pattern, and then after the repeat you count however many repeats they say, it makes life so much easier!! Thanks again for your help and patience!! :slight_smile:

There really does seem to be a problem with the number of sts after rows have been completed in a couple of places in the pattern.
For rows 1-23 you should have one more st than the row number. So you should end row 23 with 24sts and end row 24 with 25sts.
But clearly row 24, which is written out ends with 23 sts. If you adjust the stitch number, you’re now working with one less st than the row number and that works for row 36 which ends with 35sts. But row 42 looks like more problems to me although the rows after that seem more straightforward.

Actually, as crazy as it sounds, it works itself out. You start the row out with 24 stitches. Then, when you get to the end, you do the yo along with the last 2 stitches, and then you do the kfb. And you end up with 25. I don’t know how to explain it, I’ll have a look at it the next time I start a square and see if I can explain it better. :slight_smile:

As long as you’re getting it to work, that’s great. Keep good notes so the other squares will be the same. It’s a lovely pattern. Good luck with it and post a picture of the finished afghan if you would.

Yeah it’s working out great. :slight_smile: I’m excited to see how it turns out. I just got the second square done and placed next to the first, and it looks awesome without being sewn together. I’ll definitely be posting a pic when it’s complete. It’s well worth the hard work. :slight_smile: