Help! Not sure how to do?

Hope I am in the right place. I am knitting a sweater for a preemie. I have gotten quite alot done. I am about to do the neck band. I am stomped I hope someone will be able to explain what I need to do. I am not an experienced knitter. I will attempt to download a pic of my work the instructions that perplex me.

Slip first 4 Sts on needle, pick up and knit 10sts from right front neck, 4sts from top of sleeve, 17sts from back, 4sts from top of sleeve, 10sts from left front neck, and 4sts from safety pin, 53sts

Knit 5 rows making buttonhole on 2nd row, cast off

Sew up armhole, sleeve seams, sew on 3 buttons

[ATTACH]51223

It seems to me, you should be sewing the shoulder seams first before knitting the sts around the neck.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]You’ve picked a beautiful pattern and are doing a very nice job knitting, however[B]… [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen][B]Before you go any farther…[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=seagreen]After taking a close up look of your second picture,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=seagreen]it appears to me that you haven’t done the neck shaping on the fronts correctly. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=seagreen]I believe you have reversed the shaping.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=seagreen]The garter stitch bands should have fewer rows and the raglan seams should have the same number of rows as the back seams. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=seagreen]And yes, the sleeves [B][I]should be seamed[/I] [/B]to the body before the neck band is worked.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Not the sleeves attached to the body, but the [I]shoulders [/I]seamed together.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslateblue]Hi SuzeeQ,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslateblue]I have always thought of only set-in sleeves as having shoulders, [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslateblue]and raglan sleeves as being attached to the corresponding part of the upper body.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslateblue]Perhaps that’s the “old fashion” school. :??[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslateblue]I hope I didn’t confuse Sandra. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslateblue]Lana[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I didn’t catch that this is a raglan sweater, so yeah, you’d need the sleeves sewn in first to knit the 4 sts of the sleeves on the neckband. You could do it all separately, as the instructions say, but then you’d have all these bits flopping around joined at the neck and nowhere else. It would be easier if they’re all attached on the raglan.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]It would definately be easier to work the neck band with the raglan seams already together. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]I’ve been re-writing patterns for decades. I can always find ways to simplify or improve. Raglans are my favourite style for babies and small childern, but I’m a “neck down” kinda gal.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]I hope Sandra gets the neck shaping as it should be. It’s only a little frogging. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=teal][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=teal][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]I don’t knit, that I don’t rip. :o)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Top down sweaters are the easiest, though I sometimes like to do yoked ones instead of raglan, just to break it up a little.

Lana I thought that it looked wrong. Even when I needed to pick up the way the pattern says. My 4 stitches on hold are not in the right place. I will have to undo a portion and try to rework it. Thank you all for your help. I will let you know how it goes.

As you might know I am not a smart knitter but I love to knit. My son is having twins ( a boy & girl) & I would love to knit simple things. If you have any suggestions I would love it. Maybe pieces that can be knitted as one piece without too many attachements.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=green]I’m happy I could help Sandra, but it was your pictures that made it possible.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=green]Patterns aren’t always written correctly. I found two mistakes in a very old book only yesterday. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=green]I love knitting for babies and toddlers the most. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=green][SIZE=5][SIZE=3]So in the next few years, with many small things to knit, [SIZE=5][B][FONT=Arial Black]ENJOY[I]![/I][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]