Help! new to usa patterns and don't understand

hello all,
I’m an intermediate UK knitter and just bought a lovely simple (apparently!) Carrie Bostick Hoge cardigan pattern. But its a USA one and I don’t understand. I’ve ‘translated’ most of it but this bit makes no sense at all:

instruction is ‘K2, k2tog, work as est to last 4 sts, ssk, k2 (2 sts dec’d)’

so i knit 2 then knit 2 together.
then a) just knit until the last 4 stitches or b) knit 2 then knit 2 together over and over until the last 4 stitches?

as I understand it ‘as est’ means keep doing that pattern until the end of the row? or end of what?

there is no stitch count given so that doesn’t help me to work it out…i’m probably being stupid.

and i’m sure I’ll be back for more help once I really get going.:slight_smile:

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
Yes, “as est” means to continue the pattern you have been doing. In this case, it means the pattern you have been working on previous rows. It might be a moss stitch or garter stitch or a lacey pattern.
So, k2, k2tog, work the same pattern stitch as previous rows across to the last 4sts, ssk, k2. You only want to decrease 2sts on this row (2 sts dec’d).

“as est” is just shortened for “as established” which means to continue in pattern as Salmonmac said. She covered the rest. :thumbsup:

Welcome!