Knitting a baby’s bonnet and bit stuck.

Pattern reads:-

Shape back

1st row: k1 *k2tog, k6; rep from * to end. 50sts

Work 3 rows in garter St

3rd row: k1, *k2tog, k5; rep from * to end. 43 sts

Work 3 rows in garter St

5th row: k1, *k2tog, k4; rep from * to end. 36 sts

Working in garter st, cont to dec 7 sts in this way on every alt row until 15 sts rem ending with a wrong side row.

Does this mean that I still knit the 3 rows in garter St as laid out or just on every other row

Thanks in advance.

Wow, that is confusing. The fact that the decrease rows are numbered 1,3,5 makes it difficult to see how you fit in 3 garter stitch rows on rows 2,4,and 6. If you’ve done the decrease row alternating with 3 garter stitch rows and it looks ok, then you could continue now but decrease every other row as you suggest.
Can you give us a link to the pattern or a pattern name? It might be worth searching for errata here.

How do I do a link please?

I was waiting for your reply. :stuck_out_tongue: I was wondering if every other alternate row meant every fourth row or what’s going on with it. The only thing I could think of was, how much longer should it get and would that help determine when to decrease. :shrug:

Just copy the URL for the page from the address bar in your browser and paste it into the reply box. Should work.

Easiest thing to do is copy and paste a link. Just the name of the pattern may do it.

The pattern is Marriner 7201.

Sorry don’t know how to do a link

Many thanks, got it and the set is lovely.
http://www.woolfactoryonline.co.uk/teddy---babies-matinee-jacket-bonnet-bootees--shawl-dk-knitting-pattern-7201-1255-p.asp
Yes, if the 3 rows in garter look ok (that is, they don’t take up most of the back of the hat), I’d leave it and continue decreasing every other row. If however, the hat seems to be decreasing but the 3 garter stitch rows seem to be taking up most of the space, you may have to go back to row one and do the decrease rows every other row from the beginning. Forget the “3 rows in garter”.

This? http://www.woolfactoryonline.co.uk/teddy---babies-matinee-jacket-bonnet-bootees--shawl-dk-knitting-pattern-7201-1255-p.asp

Thank you all for your help, I have been in touch with marriner yarns and as you said salmonmac it was forget 3 rows garter and just knit a row in between dec row. :slight_smile:

Oh thanks so much for letting us know. It’s quite possible that this question will come up again sometime in the future. Enjoy finishing up your bonnet!