Help needed please!

Hi, I’m new to this forum and to knitting in general. I’ve done the scarf and hat but graduated to a sweater which I completed OK. Am now knitting a cardigan with a flat collar. I’ve joined the shoulder seams and started on the collar which is in double moss st. I’ve completed the pattern to obtain my 47 sts and reached my required length. The next row is where I’m stuck:

Patt 13 (inc in next st, k1) 11 times (?) - What does this mean?
Patt 12 (58) sts.

Then I cast off to finish.

I would appreciate any help you can give me to decipher this, I’m so excited to finally finish so this bump in the road is aggravating!

Thanks so much. :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum!
The instruction means to repeat the directions in parentheses 11 times. So for (inc in next st, k1) you would inc in next st, k1, inc in next st, k1 etc.
You can use a knit front and back (kfb) for the inc in a stitch:

or one of my favorites, krl:

Hi Salmonmac,

Thanks so much for your reply, that’s made it a bit clearer, however if i patt 13 (ie follow pattern 13 sts) then inc 1 and k1 x 11, and then patt 12 does that not add at 47 sts? how do i get 58?

Sorry Salmonmac, it’s just sunk in! The increase will add to + 11 so that will bring me up to 58.

Phew! Getting to understand knitting terminology is a challenge but I enjoy them!

:knitting:

It certainly can be a challenge but you’re good at sticking with it. Congrats on finishing up this sweater. We’d love to see a photo if you’d like to post one.