Help - my first sweater and having trouble with shoulders

Hi all - my first sweater after years of baby blankets and scarves has been going very well until tonight. I am within mere stitches of completing the back and I am stuck! The pattern reads as follows: (caps are as written)

Working shoulders at the same time and with separate balls of yarn, bind off 7 sts at each shoulder edge ONCE, then 4 sts once. AT THE SAME TIME, bind off 3 sts at each neck edge once.

Here is what I have done: I bound off the 7 sts at the first shoulder then worked the pattern to the end of that shoulder. Then I switched to the other shoulder and worked the pattern until the final 7 sts and of course (duh) if I bind those off I’m stuck with a stitch at the edge. So I am lost. Totally and completely lost.

Any help would be appreciated so much. I just don’t understand the wording here - bind off once? Like one could bind off twice?

Kitty :shrug:

Working shoulders at the same time and with separate balls of yarn, bind off 7 sts at each shoulder edge ONCE, then 4 sts once. AT THE SAME TIME, bind off 3 sts at each neck edge once.

Since you’ve discovered that you can’t bind off at the end of the row, this is what you do.

Bind off 7 at the first shoulder edge and finish that shoulder.

Then bind off 3 at the beginning of the other shoulder (this would be the neck edge on that side), finish that row.

Turn the work, bind off 7 at the beginning-shoulder edge, finish that side.

Bind off 3 at the beginning of the other side–neck edge.

Now your neck decreases are done, and you bind off 4 stitches when the shoulder edge is the beginning of the row.

Clear enough?

OK Ingrid - thanks! I’m going to do that right now and will come back to let you know how it worked.

Really, thanks so much!

Perfect - excellent! I now have the back of a sweater!

:muah:

:cheering: :cheering: