Help me understand "KNit?"

Hello all! I really need my “experts” to help me understand some instructions in a pattern that I am sure is simple enough but yet I can’t quite get… I’m making a baby bootie which is quite lovely and it sis simple but I am confused about making the eyelet. Pattern reads: ws: CO 58 sts
Rs:p row
K2*k1 slip this stitch back on to the left needle( I’m fine at this point, here comes the part I’m having trouble with in CAPS) :

LIFT 5 STITCHES ON THE LEFT NEEDLE OVER THIS STITCH AND OFF THE NEEDLE, YO, KNIT THE SAME 1 STITCH AGAIN, K2, repeat * to end (30 stitches ).

My question is am I lifting 5 stitches all at once over the k1 stitch or one at a time or does it matter?!

I understand that I’m making the little eyelet hole ( I think!) , but yet when I do it, it just looks like a funky mess! I have made an eyelet before but only by dropping one stitch then YO. I think the 5 stitch thing is what’s messing with me. And I can’t continue repeating until end because it just keeps looking so messed up. Reading ahead, i pretty much dont see any problems withe the rest of the pattern…As always I truly appreciate your help! Thanks!

:knitting:

You do lift the 5 sts on the left needle over this stitch that you’ve just shifted back to the left needle and you can do this one at a time which is probably easier to do. Either one at a time or all 5 at once will give the same result. I’d keep going for a few rows and see how this looks. Can you see this stitch in the picture of the booties and can you give us a link to the pattern?

Thanks so very much, salmonmac. Yes, you can absolutely see the stitch in the picture. Here is the link: http://www.thecreateryshop.com/2011/09/easy-baby-booties-knit-on-straight.html

It’s the grey and pink booties. I will try to keep going for a few more rows and hope that it will begin to form some semblance of the pic! Thanks again, I so appreciate your help.

Totally agree with Salmonac! :thumbsup: