Help me teach her

Hey everyone,
I finally found someone who wants to learn to knit! But she’s a lefty and i’m not. How do i teach her? Any tips?:blooby:

Teach her the same way you knit. She’s never knit before so either right or left handed is going to be new to her. After she learns the basics she can decide if she wants to try something different.

1- knitting (like typing, or driving a car) is a 2 handed skill.

there aren’t left handed typewriters, or left handed cars.

there isn’t a need for special left handed knitters.

2 teach how to make the stitches (dropping yarn after each stitch.

3 show (either in person, or via on line video’s) various ways to hold yarn
(ie, right hand hold, left hand hold)
and various ways to knit .
(ie american, english lever, scots (this style (not recommended!) hold one needle under arm or in a harness) and show european,
(ie continental (picking) and left handed american (the index finger moves to flick yarn (vs picking yarn)

remember, at first, no matter which hand you use, its awkward!

also be prepared to show 'true left handed" (aka backwards knitting) this is used by many knitters (especially when knitting borders or entralac)

if right handed knitters can knit in a true left hand style, left hand knitters can knit in conventional style!

but since knitting true left handed plays havoc with decreases (they need to be reversed) its not a good way to start!.

Knitting takes 2 hands. I am a righty who hold the yarn in my left hand (as do many righties!) and i know lefties who hold yarn in left hand! but all knitters use 2 hands to knit (and all typist use 2 hands to type, and drivers use 2 hands to drive… and so on!)

I’m left haned and was taught the english method but have been told several times the its easier for lefties to learn continental.:woot:

I am a lefty! Think of it this way: don’t think about her hands. Just show her what to do with the needles (“We are going to stick this needle under here…”) That doesn’t change whatever handed you are.

I second Kkraft’s suggestion to go with continental.

Good luck!

I think it’d be a great idea to market “left-handed knitting needles”. People [I]would[/I] actually buy them XD

I’m left-handed and in my very first class the teacher sighed and said, “You’re left-handed?? I’ll have to teach you continental then.” Well, I had no idea what that meant, but I do now and I can tell you that all the lefty knitters I know prefer the contintental style.

The basis of it is that you “pick” instead of “throw”. The yarn is held in the left hand and goes over the left index finger. When you “pick” your right needle into the stitch on the left you just move that left index finger toward you and pull through to finish the stitch. While I agree there is no “left-handed knitting”, continental has worked best for most of the lefties I know!!

i am right handed, but i too knit with yarn in left hand (drove my mother crazy!) but i don’t pick, --that is i don’t use my right hand to twist needle round firmly held yarn over left hand index finger–

instead, i flick my left index finger (never letting go of left hand needle) to form a stitch. this is very similar to the english “lever” method of forming a stitch, (only i do it with my left hand, not my right hand)

and yes, i agree, many more lefties are more comfortable with holding yarn in left hand… but not all!

certainly there are enough variations of knitting that its always possible to find one that works.

i can do almost any style of knitting with yarn in left hand, i can do a proper continental, (pick), true left hand knitting(and use that style frequently for short row projects, so i don’t have to turn every X stitches) and even Eastern style flick with the thumb–but i am spastic when i have to hold yarn in right hand. Yet i naturally write with right hand (it wasn’t as if i was forced to use right hand!)

I’m a righty who knits lefty, too. There’s no right (no pun intended) or wrong way to knit, just as long as you can make a knit and a purl. Just show your friend the basics and she may want to learn a different technique later when she’s more comfortable.

I think it’s useful to learn how to carry the yarn on both hands . I usually teach my students both ways and I don’t make a big deal about it. If you learn from the get go how to be ambi-knit-trous it’s easier than learning only one way as the ‘right way’ and then having to reprogram yourself to learn another way.

Carrying yarn in both hands is helpful when your stranding or just to be able to switch hands because one hand is getting tired.

This site has some awesome videos of both ways of knitting.