Help me quit smoking

I quit and then oops I started again. I am on the Chantrix and it does work. The thing is you do have to want to quit smoking. Besides you have to keep on the chantrix even if you do quit, that is what I didn’t do the last time.
I am giving you some big hugs :hug::hug: and hope that you quit soon. We are here to help you if you need us to keep you going for not smoking.

Jen :hug: :muah:,

It was so nice that you wrote and I thank you for your encouragement. It’s nice to have your friendship and kindness.
:grphug: Elise

I am a Cardiac Rehab Nurse and do Smoking Cessation for individual patients and groups.
First, CONGRATULATIONS on your desire to quit. Even though you do have a long smoking history it will be so much better to quit now than waiting til you are older.

SUccessfully quitting smoking requires PLANNING. Those who plan and prepare are much more successful than those who quit on a whim. Simple acts like picking a quit date and psychologically preparing yourself ahead of time as well as physically preparing your surroundings go a long way to helping you be successful.

There are three areas that you need approach smoking from; Physical Dependency; Psychological Dependency; and Habit.

Physical Dpendency is actually the easiest these days, despite the terribly addictive nature of nicotine. NRT (Nicotine Replacement Therapy) and drugs have come a long way. See your Physician about the best regimine for you. Chantix is a MIRICLE drug and I have seen amazing success with it. NRT is also very effective, but the key is to use it correctly. Many people use it incorrectly and wonder why it doesn’t work. The drug companies will tell you NOT to use NRT if you are on Chantix but many people find that as helpful as the Chantix is they still need to use the gum, patch or lozenge. There is no absolute contraindication for using them both if you need to.

Physchological Dependency is that believe that you can’t handle life and stress without your cigarettes. YOU CAN. Many people believe that cigarettes help keep them calm, in fact cigarettes physiologically do the opposite. Learn how to manage your stress, through meditation, relazation techniques, exercise, yoga, WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU. Learn a relaxation technique and practice it DAILY.

Habit is the act of picking up a cigarette and smoking it at specifice times; after meals, in the car, when you get on the phone etc. You need to REPLACE the cigarette habit with something else. Some people change their routine, getting up right after a meal and washing the dishes, changing from coffee to tea, using a cordless phone and riding an exercise bike while talking on the phone. What ever you need to do to “changeup” those times when you most often pick up a cigarette.

Gum, hard candy and flavored toothpics can be helpful “oral” substitutes. Drinking lots of cold cold water can shock you mouth out of the “hunger” for a cigarette.

Plan ahead of time how you are going to deal with stressful situations, arrange a support network of people who are sensitive to your struggle and will help you through the difficult times. Find an on line forum (there are several) to share your struggle with.

And, knit knit knit. Knitting will occupy your hands and your mind at times when you are most desperate for a cigarette.

GOOD LUCK!!!

I actually quit buying packs about 4 months ago. I found that having a pack just made them totally available and I’d smoke one after another and not think about the damage it was doing. The coughing and constant congestion drives me and everyone around me nuts! I have been on the Chantix for about 2 weeks. It makes it very hard to smoke… I have no cravings and have taken up chewing gum again. I am down to about 5-6 cigarettes daily and sometimes the clock rolls around to 10pm and I am actually anxious to go to bed so that I can’t consciously think of cigarettes. I make my housemates (husband and son) hide theirs so I can’t just walk up and pick them up.

[COLOR=“Red”][B][FONT=“Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=“5”]I’ve set Thursday, January 24, as my quit day.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/COLOR] My son and husband, both smokers in transition as well, will be heading out for a 10 day fishing trip and their packs of cigarettes will no longer be available to me. My hope is that they will stop smoking as well. I will fill my time with knitting, sewing and decorating my new home, a home that will NEVER have a cigarette smoked in it!!! One of the results of long term smoking has been the horrible and yucky collection of nicotine on my furniture and all of my household belongings. When we began remodeling/renovating this house, the sheetrock on walls and the ceiling had years of nicotine residue buildup from the former owners. NO MORE!!! My 2 yr. old granddarling will come over Friday afternoon through Sunday and keep me occupied otherwise. We have never smoked around her and her mere presence on this earth is the single, biggest reason for me to put them down.

I appreciate everyone’s encouragement and support. Thanks, bigtime! :muah: Mary

Knitwit1987-I sill send you positive “stop smoking” vibes! You can do this, if you feel the urge, either pick up your knitting or log on here until the urge passes.

And I hope don’t mind if I hijack the thread for a moment but I just had to say this:

Mary, congratulations on picking the date to stop smoking! It sounds like you are in the right frame of mind to do it.
Good Luck to you Mary!!!

:woohoo: Congrat’s to you! You will be so happy that you are doing this and having a grandchild there with you will certainly make it easier…all you have to do is look at him/her! I had written in my first post that my quit date had been Dec. 17, 2002 and my granddaughter was born Dec. 17, 2007! Well, I also have 3 other grandchildren, who do not remember me smoking. I picked the original date because my second grandchild was due to be born a couple of weeks after my quit date and she born was Jan. 4, 2003. I was smoking when my first grandson was born (he is now 12) and I was going to quit then, but they got stationed in Hawaii when he was 3 months old, so they weren’t around. But when they came back and got stationed in CA (I live in RI) and I went to visit I remember him looking at me, outside having a cigarette and pointing and saying “Grandma, fire”! Jeez, I remember feeling terrible!
So grandchildren are another great reason to quit.

If you are having a hard time when the date gets here, come on to the thread…I’ll be looking…and let us know how you are doing! We all care!:muah:

Jen:knitting:

my dad had to quit when he had his heart attack at 52. No choice there! My DH quit then too, and drinking Coke at the same time! I didn’t realize it until one night I said “what is WRONG with you!?” He said “I haven’t had a cigarette in 3 days!” Oh—great job honey! :slight_smile: (I was in grad school and crazy busy, so I didn’t notice!) BUT–you can do this. Make up your mind and do it. Use whatever you need to use, but do it. Throw away the ashtrays, wipe your walls down and see how yucky yellow they are… :slight_smile: You can do it!

Silver quit a good while ago and started a blog thread. I found it and bumped it up for you guys to use. Its called “The No Smoking Zone”. I’m rooting for you!:grphug:

The last time I smoked a cigarette was on September 24, 2004. I started when I was 18, quit when I got pregnant with my son, and then I was stupid and I started again. From the second time I started smoking, I smoked for 12 years. During that time, I tried quitting four times. I tried the gum, but it made my heart race when I chewed it, and that scared me. I tried cold turkey, which didn’t last that long. I tried going to a smoking cessation class and weaning myself off of them, and it worked until my ex, who wanted me to quit, sabotaged it. I counted out my next day and the day after’s allotment of cigarettes, told him to hide the day after’s so I wouldn’t cheat, and then I found out that he took one out of tomorrow’s and added it to the day after’s so I ended up having more when I was supposed to have fewer. I tried the patch, which only lasted me about two days before I was ready to climb the walls.

Finally, I ended up going to my doctor and he prescribed me some Zyban. One of the “effects” of that pill was that after a few days when you took it, you would start to feel nauseous when you smoked. I was able to quit the first time because I suffered from very bad morning sickness while I was pregnant and, believe me, the last thing I wanted when I was so nauseous was a cigarette. It also helped that at the time I started taking the Zyban, we also moved, so my routine was upset quite a bit. And we were also moving into a place that did not smell like cigarettes.

One of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my life was quit smoking. I can give you advice, and I can share my own experience, but in the end, to be successful, [B]you have to find the way that works the best for you. [/B] You also have to realize that yes, you will stumble and you will give into temptation, but the key here is to not beat yourself up over slipping up. There is not one single person on this Earth who has not slipped up in one way to another. Realize why you slipped and learn from that. Use it to help you go on. That’s how I ended up trying the Zyban. :slight_smile:

Good luck to you, and remember, there are lots of people here who have been in your shoes that would also be more than happy to lend an ear, too. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for posting this it really gave me a better understanding of what I need to do!

For some reason, I watched Opray yesterday. I don’t usually, but dd was occupied with various little things and I was knitting, so the background noise was nice.

Her entire show was on quitting smoking. If you go to her website, I am sure she has tons of information on it.

Best wishes! And good for you for choosing to do this! Just remember to do it for you, and not for your fiancee.

Www.quitnet.com really helped me find motivation during the first days of my quit. I still visit every so often to help others quitting. I quit 2 years, 110 days ago. I’m Silver925 on Quitnet.

This was my 4th quit, and so far, my longest. The key, I believe, is that you have to [I]not want[/I] to smoke anymore, not just want to quit. I quit while on my way to buy a pack of smokes. The store is less than 2 minutes from my house. On the way there, I decided to quit, and left with a box of nicotine gum instead. I haven’t had a single puff since that evening, October 5th, 2005 at about 5:30pm. I have zero desire to smoke again, even when I’m with a crowd of smokers. I really believe this is it for me.

You CAN do it. It doesn’t have to be as hard as they say. Just make up your mind and the willpower comes from within. If you believe it will be hard, it will be hard. If you believe you will quit, then you will.

Best of luck to all of you quitting. I hope you soon breathe better. :hug:

I have never been a smoker, but I have lost loved ones to smoking related diseases. I hope you can quit soon. Good luck! :thumbsup:

the thing that wored for me was everytime i went to light up i told myself that this actually smells lile a horse smuck heap smoldering (and it does, i have horses and do burn it, its nasty like that).

try that along with will power and patches see if that help

susi

Knitwit1987, I’ve spent the whole thinking about the benefits of not smoking, preparing myself to quit. I want first to apologize for hijacking, as figaro put it, your thread but I needed and really appreciate you starting it. :muah: :muah:

To everyone else, I’m gonna do it and I so appreciate the advise, experiences and input you are giving. Tomorrow, my quit day, I intend to keep myself busy and will check in occasionally to keep in line. I’ve argued several times with myself, or rather the “smoking” self who thinks I need them to function. NOT SO!
I can do this!

Nighty Night! :mrgreen:

mwhite, I sincerly wish you the best of luck and you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Let us know how your doing and I know you can do it!! If you need any help or just to chat pm me as I am on here ALOT!! BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!! :slight_smile:

It’s abouty 2:20pm here and I’m doing good. I caught myself looking at my husband and son’s shirt pockets for packs of cigarettes about 10:30 this morning. NOPE! Don’t need them! They left for Costa Rica about 1:45pm and took those shirt-pocket-cigarettes with them, so as long as I don’t drive 10 miles to the nearest store, I’m safe! I just have some change and a credit card, so NOT gonna buy them and waste my bucks.

I’ve quit coughing and my breathing is much better. I think the last cigarette I smoked was around 10:30 last night. Fixing to each some lunch and sit down to finish my top-down pink sweater, only one more sleeve to go!!! :woot: :woot:

:knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :thumbsup:

You can do it!!! Keep it up!! :woohoo:

You can do it!!!:woohoo::hug::woot:

YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB!! :yay: KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!