Help me please. Needle size confusion..tearing hair out.

Hello all. I’m a beginner and have just decided to make a shawl. I bought a pattern on line form a woman in America. The needle size she says to use is this as she has written it:
Needles: 1. US#35, 29”circular or straight needle for the Wrap.Yarn: 3 Skeins of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn in Charcoal.
I was advised by a knitting web site to use US size 13 as that was matched to the yarn. This did not knit up well…was far too small. After lots of googling, I decided to try very large…size 35cm, which arrived today. Now frantic as it looks like these may be wrong too.This is costing me so much time and money. Please can someone tell me which really are the correct needles?:confounded:

Conversion chart shows a US #35 is a 19mm needle. Lots of places have that size available. Hope this helps.

Well size 20mm arrived today, which I assume are near enough? But they are so different to what I’m used to and it doesn’t look as if it’s going to knit very nicely. Will give this a fourth attempt at making and keep everything crossed !!

Yes, they sound pretty big. You could always make a swatch to see if you think it will look OK. Good luck!!! :slight_smile:

Welcome to KH!
What is the name of your pattern? Can you give us a link to a photo?

Its called Outlander Knit Shawl Claire’s Shawl.

Thank you…this is my 4th attempt, but I want to keep going.

Very nice looking.

I’ve knit Thick & Quick on size 17 which is about 13mm and it gave a much denser fabric. So the size 35 seems reasonable for an openwork shawl like this. Should be fun.

That’s it. Fun is not the word I’m using now as I’ve had so many attempts at it. I’m just on the first row again now…so if it goes wrong again, I may swear !! Thank you for your help.