Help me oh please help meeeee

Okay now that I’ve got you to read this :lol: I seriously do need some yarn advice.

I am starting my mom’s christmas present, its called a ‘Moderne Log Cabin Blanket’. It’s in the Mason Dixon book, anyway it calls for Silky Wool by Elsbeth Lavold, 1.75 oz (50g) balls, ea. approx 192 yds (176 m), wool/silk. It has 4 colors, color A calls for 4 balls and colors B-D call for 5 balls.

Now, my wonderful mother is sensitive to wool so I asked the lady at the yarn store what I could use instead and she suggested I use 100% cotton. She figured out how many balls I would need (yikes!!) so I bought 4 skeins @ $5.25 ea. to start.

The thing is that the yarn is very thin, I started it up last night and it just seems like it’s going to be quite fragile as it’s quite flimsy and all. Did I make the right choice here? Is it going to thicken up when I get all of it put together?

Oops, :blush: I just looked at the cotton yarn and it is the same ‘weightage’ as what is originally called for but wouldn’t it be a thicker feel being wool/silk?

I thank you for all of your help and time in this endevour. :lol:

The other yarn might be puffier, giving a thicker appearance. Cotton can be pretty smooth, especially if it’s mercandized cotton–maybe that’s the difference.

It is mercandized cotton, man you’re good Ingrid. Thank you for replying to my post. I don’t know if I should try something else or keep going. Any suggestions? What about acrylic?

There are nice acrylics, and they are easy care, too–good for a blanket.

It’s really up to you, though. You won’t be happy making it or giving it if you don’t like the way it looks. I have tried substituting mercandized cotton for other yarn, too, and it always seemed too loose and floppy, so maybe you can use it for something else designed for cotton.

I sure hope I can return what I haven’t used. :thinking: Ugh, I wish she would have told me it would be flimsy. Oh well, that’s how I seem to have to learn things, the hard (and expensive) way.

Thanks again Ingrid!! You da bomb, baby. :smiley:

:thumbsup: