Help me finish my first sweater!

I am kind of new to knitting. After a lot of reading, video watching and practicing with small projects, I am finishing my first sweater! But I need help with the bind off to shape the shoulder.

I have successfully practiced different types of bind offs; however I don’ quite understand the “shape shoulders” portion of the pattern I’m following. It reads:

[INDENT][I]“At each armhole edge, bind off 8 sts 0 (0, 0, 0, 1) time, 7 sts 0 (1, 3, 4, 3) times, then 6 sts 4 (3, 1, 0, 0) times [24 (28, 29, 29, 30) sts rem]. Place rem sts onto st holder or waste yarn”[/I][/INDENT]

How do I do that? How do I bind off at the extremes (“each armhole edge”)? What do I do with the stitches in the middle? If I start binding off the right side and the knit RS until I reach the final sts of the left side I can bind off those but my working yarn will be at the extreme, could someone explain this 4 binding off rows (I’m knitting the XL version - last option entre parentheses).

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to KH.
You might consider using the sloped bind off demonstrated in this video. It will give you a nicer edge.

“At each armhole edge, bind off 8 sts 0 (0, 0, 0, 1) time, 7 sts 0 (1, 3, 4, 3) times, then 6 sts 4 (3, 1, 0, 0) times [24 (28, 29, 29, 30) sts rem]. Place rem sts onto st holder or waste yarn”

Bind off at the beginning of the row and work to the end, bind off at the beginning of the next row. The one row difference when you BO isn’t a problem

Thank you, very much! That sounds helpful. I will certainly try it!!