Help making pattern fit!

Hi - I am returning to knitting after at least a 20 year break. I always knitted without any issues however am now having problems - any help would be hugely appreciated! Current problem - have knitted a gauge square which has come out the same as pattern - 22 stitches to 10cm - even though I would consider myself a size 12 I will actually be knitting the largest size (38" or 95 cm) - problem is this size sleeve increases to 85 stitches which would equal almost 39 cm at that gauge - this at least 4 cm too wide according to the largest jumper I have in my wardrobe. This also happened in my last jumper and I ended up being discouraged and never wearing it! I would be sooo appreciative of any suggestions -

Is there not a medium size in the pattern?

1 Like

Hi Evie - thank you soo much! - there are 4 sizes - if I did the next size down the front/back (105 stitches) would measure just under 48cm - I need it to be 50.5 cms (101 cms garment finished chest) which would be about 5 cm short all around - that sleeve measurement would still be 1.5 cm too large (around) - but would this work out do you think ?

I have looked at lots of 8 ply patterns and they all seem to vary quite a bit - I wanted to do this particular pattern due to the amount of wool I have and the neckline I wanted. I did knit a jumper in 8 ply last year and the sleeve only increased to 73 stitches and it is a good fit…

Again - thank you! Marie

Welcome!
Can you give us a pattern link or a pattern name please?
I sometimes change the sleeve width, larger or smaller depending on the sweater. If it’s a drop shoulder, it’s easy to increase to just the width you want. If it’s set in sleeves you’ll need to do some math and adjust the armhole opening.

Hi - thank you for your welcome! Pattern is Chinese Neckline jumper in an older book named Autumn Journal. Have been some thinking - if I do a smaller size sleeve, I think I would just have to do 8 extra rows in the decreasing to bring it in line with the armhole edge of the body. Would it be OK to just add an extra row when decreasing (instead of decreasing every alternative, do it every 3rd row) until I’ve done the extra 8 rows - would this work? I would do it evenly - It i s a set in sleeve. Funny knitted a lot in my earlier life and never had a problem - but have had a couple of unsuccessful attempts with sleeves since becoming re-acquainted with knitting! Have also found my stocking stitch is no longer even and therefore I am avoiding it as much as possible.

salmonmac Mod Squad
October 11
Welcome!
Can you give us a pattern link or a pattern name please?
I sometimes change the sleeve width, larger or smaller depending on the sweater. If it’s a drop shoulder, it’s easy to increase to just the width you want. If it’s set in sleeves you’ll need to do some math and adjust the armhole opening.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Bjme
October 11
Hi Evie - thank you soo much! - there are 4 sizes - if I did the next size down the front/back (105 stitches) would measure just under 48cm - I need it to be 50.5 cms (101 cms garment finished chest) which would be about 5 cm short all around - that sleeve measurement would still be 1.5 cm too lar…
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

You can certainly change the decreasing rate to extend the sleeve cap so that it will fill in the armhole opening (making up for the decreased width of the cap). Eunny Jang sometimes draws the shape out on a piece of paper and then knits and compares to the paper shape, decreasing where needed. I’ve never done this (although I have made sleeve caps longer).