HELP! making a scarf for boyfriends parents!

Hello, ok I’m a beginner knitter, and can handle big poofy scarves with size 15 needles, but i’m in for real trouble. I have this beautiful yarn from Uruguay, and i have to knit a scarf! My problem is that the pattern i was given

Cast on 32 stitches
1st row: K3 (p2 k2) six times then K3
2nd row: K3 p26 K3

… is this a good pattern? And also, my biggest problem is that it isn’t looking all that great right now… there isnt’ really a pattern emerging… This is going to seem really silly to advanced knitters, but when it says first and 2nd row… don’t you just knit 1 then 2 then 1 then 2? I’m so confused, please help!!!

This a rib pattern with a garter stitch border on either side, and I think it’s a fine pattern for a scarf!

Ok, you have 32 stitches, and row 1 will get you all the way across them. You knit 3, then purl 2, knit 2, purl 2, knit 2, purl 2, knit 2 until you get to the last three stitches, then knit those 3.

row 2, you knit 3, purl 26, then knit the last 3.

Then you just keep repeating those rows till your scarf is long enough. :slight_smile:

I tried your pattern out over only 12 stitches with only a one stitch border of garter stitch. It makes a rib as Abbily said. On the right side it makes a rib that consists of vertical lines of stockinette alternating with vertical lines of garter stitch. On the back side it is lines of reverse stockinette alternating with lines of garter stitch. You will have garter stitch on the edges because you knit every stitch on the first and last 3 stitches of each row. And you end up with garter as part of the rib pattern because when you purl each row as you do when you K2, P2 one row and then purl all of it on the next row, you also get garter stitch. It is a simple pattern, but looks pretty good and should make a nice scarf, because it will lie nice and flat.

Yes, just keep repeating those two rows.

Keep going with the pattern- sometimes it takes a while to show up.

I tried this pattern on a scarf for my daughter. I only cast on 16 stitches and knit 1 on the ends though. It curled quite a bit, but it wound up being, as my programmer boyfriend says, a feature rather than a bug. She loved the scarf and said it was exactly what she wanted. :^)

:cheering:

I think it’ll make a terrific scarf! Just watch for a rib pattern to emerge and that shows after a few rows are knitted.