Help, knitting newbie.

Hi, can someone please help me decipher this section of my knit pattern?

Sweater sizes:
2/3 (sweater 25.25 inch chest circumference)
4/5 (sweater 26.5 inch chest circumference)
6/7 (sweater 28.5 inch chest circumference)
8/9 (sweater 30.75 inch chest circumference)
10/11 (sweater 32.25 inch chest circumference)

Starting with the U.S. 13 (32” circular needle), cast on as follows:
Cast on: 3 (3, 4, 4, 5) place marker
Cast on: 4 (4, 4, 4, 4) place marker
Cast on: 14 (14, 16, 16, 18) place maker
Cast on: 4 (4, 4, 4, 4) place a maker
Cast on: 3 (3, 4, 4, 5)
(28, 28, 32, 32, 36 sts)

I’ve only done basic knits before, this is first sweater so any help is appreciated. I may have bit off more than I can chew…

Thanks in advance!

Welcome!
Which size are you making?

I’m making the 2/3.

The markers will help you follow the pattern for whatever comes next. You can use store bought markers or you can use safety pins or home-made circles of yarn in a contrasting color.
It’s a good idea to circle the numbers that apply to your size throughout the pattern. It’ll save time and keep you from being confused while you’re knitting.
Cast on: 3 sts place marker
Cast on: 4 place marker
Cast on: 14 place maker
Cast on: 4 place a maker
Cast on: 3
You’ll have 28 sts total on the needle.

We’ll all be happy to help with the pattern if you come to any other questions.

Thanks so much for the reply!

I think I get it now that you’ve explained it. So the numbers in the brackets are for the different sizes?

Yes, that’s it exactly. You only need to pay attention to that first number, the size 2/3 numbers.

Excellent! Thanks a lot.

I will probably definitely be back here because I have a sneaking suspicion this won’t be my only hurdle.

I’m back and in need of more help.

Row 1 : k1fb (knit 1 stitch into the front and the back {increase 1}), *knit to 1 stitch before marker, k1fb, slip marker, k1fb, repeat from * 3 more times, knit to last stitch, k1fb. (38, 38, 42, 42, 46 sts)

So I understand this much:

I knit front and back until 1 stitch to my first marker, then… no idea…

Do I then knit another front and back? Then make a new marker then repeat? Why not just say knit front and back the whole row?

Just seems to complicate it for no reason.

Thanks!

“Row 1 : k1fb (knit 1 stitch into the front and the back {increase 1}), *knit to 1 stitch before marker, k1fb, slip marker, k1fb, repeat from * 3 more times, knit to last stitch, k1fb”

K1kfb (that’s knit one stitch only front and back, one stitch increased)
*knit the next stitches up to one stitch before the marker, Kfb, slip marker kfb
repeat from the * 3 more times
knit the stitches to the last stitch, kfb.

You’re increasing at the beginning and end of the row and also before and after the 4 markers. That should be 10 sts increased on this row. The rest of the stitches are plain old knit stitches. Don’t kfb on every stitch.

Oh right! I definitely did not understand it the way I thought I did. Ok I’m back on track. Thanks!!

Hi salmonmac, sorry back again!

I’m comes across a hurdle. So I did the following:

Row 9: *knit to 1 stitch before marker, k1fb, slip marker, k1fb, repeat from * 3 more times, knit to end. (76, 76, 80, 80, 84 sts)
Row 10 : purl (slipping markers as needed)

Repeat rows 9-10 continue working in stockinette stitch while maintaing raglan increases as worked in row 9 for:
4 more rows (2/3)

New added part that I missed:
There should be (92, 100, 112, 120, 132 sts) on the needle, and the last row worked should be a wrong side row.

When I reached row 10, I had as stated the 76 stitches. I proceed to do the repeat And I get to my third repeat and I count 97 stitches. Where did I go wrong?

Thanks!

You’re only repeating rows 9 and 10 so you should increase 8sts per repeat of row 9. There are 76sts to start these repeats, 84sts after the first repeat is finished, 92 after the 2nd repeat, 100 after the 3rd repeat.
Take a look at the sts before and after the markers and see if you can spot where the mistake is. You may have to rip back to that row and correct. Remember that you’re not making increases at each end of the row
What pattern is this?
Because of copyright problems, would you please edit your post to remove rows 1-8? We really only need rows 9 & 10.

Sorry, I forgot to add this bit above:
There should be (92, 100, 112, 120, 132 sts) on the needle, and the last row worked should be a wrong side row.

It’s why I was querying why I have 98 sets when the pattern was talking about having 92 sets at the end of the loop.

What is the name of this pattern?
If you have 4 markers and you increase either side of each marker that’s 8 sts per increase row. Maybe the pattern only wants 2 more repeats of rows 9 and 10? That will give you 92sts and the last row worked will be a WS row.
How many increase sts are you making when you repeat row 9?

Only making increases as told which is the stitch on either side of the marker.

Not sure what you mean by name of this pattern. I bought the pattern online via Etsy.

So you start with 76 sts and increase 8sts per increase row?

Yes, but does it give a title (Cable Jacket, Child’s Cardi?) or a designer name? I’m wondering if it’s listed on Ravelry or if there’s an errata page for it.

Yes, I started on 76 and ended on 98. I think I went wrong somewhere along the line. I’m now pulling it back out and starting again from the 76 sts. So should I just then do two repeats only moving forward?

Also after this section of the pattern it says:
Current stitch count:
Front right/left: 14 (15, 17, 18, 20 sts)
Back: 28 (30, 34, 36, 40 sts)
Sleeves (each): 18 (20, 22, 24, 26 sts)

Not too sure what this is referring to.

Re name of pattern: the title is Cloudyn Sweater designed by Heidi May.

I’m sorry for a being a pain. Thanks again for all the help.

Not a pain at all. Sounds like a mistake in the pattern which would drive anyone to questions.
The stitch counts for the fronts, back and sleeves give you the number of sts you should have between the markers in each of the sections (fronts, 14sts each, back, 28sts, sleeves, 18sts each). They add up to 92 so, yes, do 2 repeats of rows 9 & 10.
Since you paid for this pattern you might send a message on Ravelry to the designer to let her know.

Yes, I might. Thanks for helping me once again!

I hate to say I might be ok now, but I have a sneaking suspicion I will be back soon. So talk soon!

Thanks again!! :slight_smile:

Ok sorry I’m back. I’ve come across a confusing part of the pattern, plz help!

Row 3 : k2, * bring yarn to front of work, slip the 1st stitch on the left needle to the right needle purlwise, bring the yarn to the back of work, slip the first stitch on the left needle to the right needle purlwise, pass the second stitch on the right needle over the first (1 stitch bound off), slip the 1st stitch on the right needle to the left needle, turn the work, bring yarn to the back of work, using a cable cast on {cast on 2 stitches}, turn the work, bring the yarn to the back of work, slip the 1st stitch from left needle to the right needle, pass the 2nd stitch on the right needle over the first, k3, repeat from * to the last stitch, k1. (7, 8, 9, 10, 11 buttonholes)

I get to the first slip purlwise then I’m confused!

Thanks!