Help identifying stitch pattern

Hi I am knitting a stocking based on the Spindleknitter’s stocking by Kristin Hall on Ravelry. I am wondering if someone can give me some insight to make the raised red rows under the initial P, in this photo- maybe purl rows? sorry that the photo is not very clear. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 8.14.41 PM

My best guess is garter stitch (either knit or purl) rows, possibly with a two colour slip stitch type pattern on the rows with blue stitches, but could just be stocking stitch.
I have a hat pattern with rows very similar to the red and blue bits. As far as I remember, you do something like knit the first stitch of the row, put the contrast yarn between the needles, slip the next stitch purlwise, bring the contrast yarn to the back, slip the next stitch and move the contrast yarn forwards again and just do that until you get to the end. I think next row is similar but obviously work the first stitch with the contrast colour if you need to, then the row after is plain knit or purl.

1 Like

Hello
To me those little blue bits under the raised red row is where the new yarn colour is joined in. Often the colour is worked on the RS row so that these colour bumps are hidden on the WS of the fabric but I think here they used it as a design feature.
To me it looks like a few rows of garter stitch.

@Shintoga the method you describe sounds a little like what happens when weaving in the ends whilst knitting, a kind of up down with the tail or contrasting colour to catch it across the WS but in this case the RS.
@kaylo maybe you could try out the couple of suggestions here on a swatch and see what works?

I’m impressed initialled stockings are on the go, I’m still on summer tops!

1 Like

Yes, if I can find the pattern I might post that section. I knitted loads of those hats so no idea why I’ve forgotten what it said lol.

1 Like

@kaylo Sorry for the delay. I’m in a knitting group with Kirsten. I asked about the stitch pattern and she thinks it was a ridge of garter in red (knit a round, purl around) and then (knit 1 red, knit 1 blue) around, then (slip 1 red, purl 1 blue) around, then did another purl ridge in red.

1 Like

Thank you for your help. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much! Wow, it is amazing to get info from Kirsten herself. I have learned so much from knitting these stockings, and it has been so rewarding!

1 Like

Thank you for your help! I have been knitting Christmas stockings for for my kids for about 2 years straight. I am a slow knitter!

1 Like