Help identifying/reconstructing this stitch pattern?

We have a layette ensemble that my dw’s great grandmother knit years ago (booties, bonnet, and cardigan). They feature the st pattern shown in the pics below. I have been trying to figure out how to reconstruct it as it’s quite interesting and i know my dw and relatives would be tickled if i could reproduce it— but as I’ve only been knitting seriously for about a year I haven’t yet been able to quite wrap my head around it yet, so I thought i’d try for input from those far more experienced than me.

Any ideas?

here’s the rs of the sts:

and the ws of the same piece:

thanks in advance!

It’s beautifully worked. Try out this pattern. The twist is in the opposite direction but it’s similar. Multiple of 3sts.
Row 1 Slip one knitwise, k1, yo, k1, psso.
Row 2 purl
Row 3 knit
Row 4 purl

Yes, by all accounts g grandma was a master knitter.

Interesting, thanks! I’ll have to try that out.

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/how-to-do-a-mock-cable-2117118 The one on the right looks most like what you show. Just without the ribbing stitch between. It IS a mock cable but there are many. You might want to google some other variations

thanks for the link.

i was fully unaware there were so many variations of mock cables, as i’d only ever seen one method, which in that case simply happened to be presented as THE way with no further explanation.

Looking very closely at the picture of the stitch used in the layette ensemble that my dw’s great grandmother knit years ago (booties, bonnet, and cardigan).
I see 2 stiches “captured” by one stitch with 2 stitches in-between and alternating positions.
I achieved a RC-Right Cross over 2 stitches as follows:
Knit into the front of the second stitch on left hand needle, pass this completed stitch over the first stitch and off the left hand needle, knit into the front of first stitch on left hand needle and off the left hand needle.

I found a similar explanation 1/1 Cable Crosses

My interpretation of the pattern is worked over 4 stitches and 4 rows.
I would add a couple of edge stitches if worked flat.
First Knit 1 row and Purl 1 row
Begin Pattern
Row 1: (K2, RC) repeat
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: (RC, K2) repeat
Row 4: Purl