Help! I can't figure out how many stitches I need to cast on

I’m knitting a cover for my Dad’s computer and IM using red heart light lofty and sz 15/10mm needles. I want it to be 22 inches wide but my needles are long 13 inches. and I can’t figure out how many stiitches i need to cast on per inch? Please help!?! I’ve only been knitting for about a month now.

THanks!!

Knit up a little swatch to get an idea of how many stitches per inch you get for that yarn and those needles. Then you can multiply the number of stitches per inch by 22. You can check to make sure you’ve got enough stitches on the needles after you work a few rows to double check. Just knit half a row and spread your stitches out across the two needles.

What I would do, is this. Cast on, say 25 stitches. Knit a good sized sample in the stitch that you will be using for your actual item. I’d say knit at least about 4 inches worth. Take a measuring tape and measure how wide your sample piece is. Divide the number of stitches, in this case 25 stitches, by the number of inches in width, and this will be your stitches per inch. So if you sample came out to be 5" wide, you would then have 5 stitches per inch. You can then go and figure out how many stitches you would need to cast on in order to get the desired size item.

Hope this helps.

I think I understand I will try both of these ideas out! Thanks so much!

So I can fit this project on these needles? Enough if the project is longer than the needles?

Thanks!!

There IS a limit of how many stitches you can fit on needles, but you’d be amazed at how many you can squish on there. I don’t think you’ll have a problem. If in the future you find you have a project that won’t fit on straight needles, circular needles can be used for large, straight-knit projects, too.

Thats awesome! Thank you! You both helped me alot!