HELP! how to choose a substitute yarn!

I found a very pretty pattern from vogue knitting magazine but the yarn they are calling for costs around 60$/ball. The original yarn is Buffalo Gold Lux (bison/silk/cashmere/tencel). Because of the price, I gave up using that yarn so I’m looking for a substitute yarn that will give a similar result. The yarn weight is 40g/330yd and the gauge is 24sts and 32 rows = 4"/10cm over St st using size 6 needles. How should I choose a substitute yarn if I’m looking to shop at Michaels where they mostly sell medium weighted yarns? Should I go to a different shop? Oh by the way I’m knitting a scarf!

You should look for a DK weight yarn that’s a similar gauge of 6 sts/inch. A sportweight may do it, something that’s a number 3 instead of 4. For a scarf you may not need to match it that close. You could use a medium weight and a size 8 or 9 needle, but that will make it wider.

When I’m doing research for substitute yarns, I start with Yarndex.com - you can browse by guage and it will tell you which other yarns match that guage. There are over 200 yarns which match 24 stitches for 4 inches - you have plenty of choices!

Michael’s carries Bernat yarns and there are a number of Sport/Baby weight yarns in that line which should work. Their Satin Sport has the greatest color options (not all pastel baby colors!).