Help... "Float" by Kim Hargreaves pattern confusio

Hello,

I don’t know why, but I’m completely flummoxed by this pattern. If anyone has any suggestions for me, I’d appreciate it. I’m working on the back of this poncho and I’m at the point where I need to start decreasing, but when I write out the rows, I’m a little confused as to which ones I really need to decrease:

"Row 1: K2tog, K to last 2 sts, K2tog (81 sts)
Row 2: P1, yrn, P2 then lift the yrn over the last 2 sts and off right needle, P2 to end
Row 3: Knit
Row 4: P1, *P2, yrn, P2, lift yrn over th elast 2 sts and off right needle, rep from * to last 4 sts , P4

These 4 rows for patt and start shaping. Keeping patt correct, dec 1 st at each end of 3rd and every foll 6th row to 73 sts, then on every foll 4th row to 63 sts, then on foll 6 alt rows, then on foll 3 rows, ending with 45 sts."

I’m just confused altogether. The back is shaped like a bell, but the way these decreases seem to be going, it’s not going to be a nice curve – more jagged. It seems like I need to change Row 1 to “knit” bec. otherwise I’d have to dec. by 4 sts on some rows… I don’t know, though. I’ve emailed Rowan but have yet to hear back… If anyone can help, I’d really appreciate it!

Thanks!

R 1 decs a stitch on each end the way it says to for R 3. If you just follow it out, it should work out okay.

sue

Thanks! I think I understand now… just needed to step away from the pattern for a day – you helped me see the light!