Help! First CardiWrap

Hello everyone. I need your help once again.

I am confused what “St st” is in the 20 sts guage. Where is this pattern?

What does Multiple of 7 sts + 2 mean? Does it mean i do K2, k2 tog, yo, k1, yo, SSK, k2 (altogther they’re all seven stitches)?

Then what is does the +2 mean? Does it mean i have to row 1 of the pattern stitch twice?

ie

K2, k2 tog, yo, k1, yo, SSK, k2

What does (including yo’s) mean? Does it mean that i do yo with each purl stitch?

I have bolded it below.

Thanks for your help.

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/tango/tango.html

GAUGE
21 sts = 4”; 27 rows = 4” in Pat St on larger needle

20 sts = 4”; 28 rows = 4” in [B]St st [/B]on smaller needle

TO SAVE TIME, TAKE TIME TO CHECK GAUGE

PATTERN STITCH [B](Multiple of 7 sts + 2)[/B]

Row 1 (RS): * K2, k2 tog, yo, k1, yo, SSK, rep from * across, end k2.

Row 2: * K2, p5 [B](including yo’s), [/B]rep from * across, end k2.

Rep these 2 rows for Pat St.

BODY
With larger circular needle, cast on 261 sts. DO NOT join. Work back and forth in Pat St for 14”, end on WS.

Divide for Armholes: Next Row (RS): For right front, work Row 1 of Pat St over 92 sts, end k1 instead of k2; for back, join a 2nd hank of yarn and, beg k1 instead of k2, work Row 1 of Pat St over 77 sts, end k1 instead of k2; for left front, join a 3rd hank of yarn and, beg k1, instead of k2, work Row 1 of Pat St over 92 sts. Working 3 sections separately with different hanks of yarn, work even in pat as established until piece measures 22” from beg, end on WS.

Joining Row (RS): Work Row 1 of Pat St across all sts with 1st hank of yarn, breaking off 2nd and 3rd hanks – 261 sts. Beg with Row 2, work even in Pat St until piece measures 28” from beg, end on WS. Bind off.

SLEEVES
With RS facing, using smaller circular needle, beg at lower edge of armhole, pick up and k80 sts around entire armhole edge. Mark for beg of rnd and carry marker up. Work even in St st (k EVERY rnd) for 9”. Bind off.

“St st” is stockinette stitch – knit RS rows, purl WS. They’re giving gauge information for (a) in-pattern stitch using the size of needles that gets you that gauge, and (b) stockinette stitch using the (probably different) size of needles that gets you that gauge.

“Multiple of 7 sts + 2” means that the pattern requires 7x+2 stitches – so 9, 16, 23, 30, 37, etc. So for the gauge swatch, you might want to cast on, say, 30 stitches, which will give you four repeats of the pattern. (The pattern rows all have a repeating thing of 7 stitches, plus two stitches at the end.)

“Including yo’s” means that when you’re knitting row 2 and you come to the yo loops you made in row 1, you purl into them as if they’re a normal stitch (rather than dropping them). You don’t do extra yo’s on that row! (If you do, you’ll end up with way too many stitches. :slight_smile: )

Thanks for your help Isabeau.

Can someone tell me how she got the following figures:

so 9, 16, 23, 30, 37?

7stitch plus two k2=9? Is that it? if so, i have no idea how she got the other numbers.

Thanks

When you have a st pattern that says “X sts plus y” the X sts are multiplied however many repeats you want it wide, then you add y sts. So in the example Isabeau gave –

7x1 + 2 = 9 (one pattern repeat)
7x2 + 2 = 16 (two pattern repeats)
7x3 + 2 = 23 (three pattern repeats)

etc…

I am confused as to when i would use these multiples 9, 16, 23, 30, 37?.

So i cast on 261 sts, then i move to the following:

Row 1 (RS): K2, k2 tog, yo, k1, yo, SSK, k2.
Row 2 (WS): K2, p, p, p, p, p,k2.

Ok then what do i do after i have done row 1 and 2? Do i repeat row 1 and row 2 until i reached 14?"

Q2: My second question is the diagram.

What does the numbers on the right hand side represent. I know it represent the length of the cardiwrap.

What pattern is the 6 inch represent? Is it the shoulder area? What about the
8" and 14"?

Q3: What about the numbers listed horizontally? I know it represent the width of cardiwrap. I am assuming, 18" represent the left front and right front and the 14" represent the back.

Q4: Does the 16" for the sleeve represent the circumference of the sleeve or just the one side?

Thanks

You don’t use 9, 16, 23 - we were just giving you an example of what “st pattern is a multiple of 7 plus 2 sts” means. Read the beginning of the pattern again, including the *s:

PATTERN STITCH [B](Multiple of 7 sts + 2)[/B]
Row 1 (RS): * K2, k2 tog, yo, k1, yo, SSK, rep from * across, end k2.
Row 2: * K2, p5 [B](including yo’s), [/B]rep from * across, end k2.
Rep these 2 rows for Pat St

It’s simply telling you that the pattern stitch in row 1 is a multiple of 7 sts (the sts between the *s) plus the 2 sts at the end of the row. Repeat these 2 rows.

Q2- the numbers on the right side of the diagram show the measurements for the different sections. You have 14" from the bottom to the armholes, 8" length on the armholes, then 6" from the top of them to the neck edge.

Q3 - Yes, those numbers along the bottom also represent the different sections of the width of the piece.

Q4 - Yes, the sleeve is 16" around and 9" long.

Q1: what do i do after i have done row 1 and 2? Do i repeat row 1 and row 2?

Confused new knitter

Yes, keep repeating rows 1 and 2 until your sweater reaches 14" in length, and then do what the pattern calls for next.

Hello everyone.

I am using some yarns that was given to me, and i knitted 21 stitches but it doesn’t equal 4" for the guage. I haven’t started on the rows yet.

I really want to use this black unknown yarn and size 8 needle. Currently unemployed and i cannot afford to buy the expensive yarns they suggested.

I know i can switch to a bigger needle or a heavier weight yarn but my resources are limited.

Thanks

CO more sts and measure the 4" in the center of them. The edge sts are smaller or curl under making it hard to get an accurate measurement.

Ok my question is do i work on Row 1 in the following manner?

K2, k2 tog, yo, k1, yo, SSK, k2 etc.
until i reach 261 stitches of Row 1?

For Row 2 do i work in the following sequence.

K2, p, p, p, p, p,k2.
K2, p, p, p, p, p,k2.
K2, p, p, p, p, p,k2. etc

until i reach 261 stitches of Row 2?

Can someone help me find a free cardiwrap pattern that is not loosley stitch as this one. I saw one at the mall but i cannot find a pattern like that on the net.

I am looking for a cardiwrap like Wrap Cardigan in Ariosa which is the second to last one on this link.

http://www.classiceliteyarns.com/pattern_detail.php?patternID=62#

You’re forgetting the * in the instructions. Not good, because your rows won’t work out.

Row 1: [B][COLOR=“Magenta”][/COLOR][/B] K2, k2 tog, yo, k1, yo, SSK, [B][COLOR=“Magenta”]rep from * across[/COLOR][/B], end k2.
Row 2: [B][COLOR=“Magenta”]
[/COLOR][/B] K2, p5 (including yo’s), [B][COLOR=“Magenta”]rep from * across[/COLOR][/B], end k2.
[COLOR=“Blue”]Rep these 2 rows for Pat St[/COLOR].

So for row 1 you repeat the (K2, k2 tog, yo, k1, yo, SSK) part until there are only 2 sts left, then you k2 those last sts.

For row 2, you repeat the (K2, p5 (including yo’s)) part until there are only 2 sts left, then you k2 those last sts.

Thanks Knit4pie for your help as usual. I cannot thank you enough!

Ok “kitting-moms”, i need your help. hehe.

Your “knitting-daughter” is stuck once again.

I do not understand the following instruction under the [B]Joining Row section.[/B]

“breaking off 2nd and 3rd hanks – 261 sts”

Does it mean after i have worked on Row 1 of Pat St across all sts with 1st hank of yarn that i break off hank yarn 1 (Right Front) then continue row 1 with hank yarn 2 (Back) and then break off hank yarn 3 to work on row 1 of left front? Altogether i would finish with 261 stitches.

If that is the case, then i supposed i will use hank yarn 3 for row 2 for the next 261 stitches.

I don’t know what the following in the [B]sleeve [/B]section means:

Mark for beg of rnd and carry marker up. I guess a stch marker is to mark your stch… Forgive me experience knitters for asking such simple question. I am knitting illiterate.

I have no idea what the following means:

Work even in St st (k EVERY rnd)

Does it mean that i do stockinette stitch on even rows and knit on odd rows?

Thanks in advance.

[B]Divide for Armholes:[/B] Next Row (RS): For right front, work Row 1 of Pat St over 92 sts, end k1 instead of k2; for back, join a 2nd hank of yarn and, beg k1 instead of k2, work Row 1 of Pat St over 77 sts, end k1 instead of k2; for left front, join a 3rd hank of yarn and, beg k1, instead of k2, work Row 1 of Pat St over 92 sts. Working 3 sections separately with different hanks of yarn, work even in pat as established until piece measures 22” from beg, end on WS.

[B]Joining Row (RS):[/B] Work Row 1 of Pat St across all sts with 1st hank of yarn, breaking off 2nd and 3rd hanks – 261 sts. Beg with Row 2, work even in Pat St until piece measures 28” from beg, end on WS. Bind off.

[B]SLEEVES[/B]
With RS facing, using smaller circular needle, beg at lower edge of armhole, pick up and k80 sts around entire armhole edge. Mark for beg of rnd and carry marker up. Work even in St st (k EVERY rnd) for 9”. Bind off.

Can someone on KH kindly help me out with my problem above.

thanks in advance.

Are you doing this in different colors or different yarns? I don’t think I understand why you would be using different hanks of yarn otherwise.

I am using the same yarns. In the pattern instructions, its telling me to use 3 different hanks of yarns. I am only using one black ball of yarn which is worsted which is not the recommended yarn.

Please help…Anyone… with my above posting.

Okay, I think I get it, let me take a stab at it… You start out knitting in the round. Now you’re going to divide for the back and front - work the sts for the front, then drop that yarn and take an end from another skein of yarn for the back sts and knit them. Then you’re around to the front again, so you take another strand of yarn for the left front only. You work on the 2 fronts separately, until all pieces measure 22.5" from the co. Then drop 2 strands, doesn’t matter which 2 and you will have 261 sts at that point. Then work until it’s 28" and bind off.
You will also be working in the round on the sleeves, the marker is put on the needle to show the beginning/end of round. To knit stockinette in the round, you knit every round. (when you knit stockinette flat, you knit 1 row and purl another row - stockinette is a stitch that results, but there’s 2 ways to get there, depending on if you’re knitting flat or in the round)

Thanks Sue! You’re my lifesaver!!!

Can someone tell me if i can use the one ball of yarn for the sleeve section? I guess if i did…then the sleeve hole will not be created is that right?

Thanks everyone!

You do have to use separate strands of yarn for the back and the 2 sides of the front. Now that I think about it you’re not knitting in the round are you; just a large rectangle with slit for the armholes. So use a separate strand for each section, then whichever one you want for joining them again to make the neck/collar part. You could actually use the other end of one skein of yarn, but be careful not to mix them up or get them tangled.