Help deciphering "abbreviation"

Ok…doing a baby blanket (umm third attempt) [B]1st row[/B] K5,P1,*K4,K2tog, yrn,P1 rep from * to last 5 sts…
[B]2nd row[/B] K6, *P5,K5, rep from *to last 5 sts so I was thrown off by the k6 in the second row…the [B]yrn abbreviation[/B] (after I looked up the abbreviation on Bernat site) means yarn around needle makes 1…ok that’s the xtra st[B] but how do Work a yarn around a needle…[/B] The previous 2 trys I thought yrn was just to bring the yarn fwd in order to P…but it’s not…HELP

As I understand it the British have several ways to indicate what we Americans call a yarn over. I can see why they do this since a yarn over can be performed 3 or 4 different ways depending on what stitches it is between–k, yo, k or k, yo, p, or p, yo, p etc. Eskimos have more than one word for snow as well. :slight_smile:

So this yrn is a yarn over. In this case since it is k2tog, YO, P you do the YO by bring the yarn to the front, then up over the top of the needle and down and back between the needles to the front again.

ok…but in Row 3 it’s: K5,P1 *K4, K2tog, K2[B] yfwd,[/B] K1,P1 I thought [B]yfwd[/B] was a yarn over??? …according to there abbrev.[B] yfwd[/B] again is a make 1 Yikes…I better chuck this one!!! Here’s the link

I think they are both yarn overs. It’s that British thing again. They call it a yfwd between two knits and a yrn between a k and a p st. Try that and see if it doesn’t work. That is a beautiful blanket. I’d hate to see you give up on it too easily.

Thanks for your help…JUST TINKED THE H OUT OF IT AND PITCHED IT OUT THE BACK DOOR INTO 4 FOOT OF SNOW:frog: Maybe next time…:muah:

Oh, come on, go get it out of the snow. :lol: If I were you I’d copy and paste it into a Microsoft Word page or something of that type and edit each yfwd and yrn, and hold on to your seat, every yon (on row 9) to YO. They are all yarn overs.

Here is a link to an article about yarn overs. Go down to the heading ‘So, um, what’s this “yfwd” thing?’ She explains it very well. We call them all YO they have 3 names (in your pattern)
yrn is a yarn over after a knit with a purl following.
ywd is a yarn over between knit stitches.
yon is a yarn over after a purl when the next stitch is knit.


Or, move on to something else if you’d rather.:hiding:

Yfwd is also a YO, one between 2 knits. When you bring the yarn to the front, then knit the next stitch in the pattern, it makes a YO.

Basically, if you see yfwd, yon, yrn in a pattern they all just mean YO.

:muah: Great Article…umm maybe I will venture outside and get the darn thing…:aww:

Good for you! You can do this.

I can’t wait to see a picture of it. That is a lovely blanket and that makes two different ways of a pattern calling for a YO in one week.