Help Decipher Sock Pattern!

I’m working the Simple Sock Pattern that came with Colinette Jitterbug yarn I bought last week.

I’ve gotten to the turning the heel portion of the pattern with no problems.

Starting with 30 stitches on the needle the instructions read:

Knit 17, ssk, k1, turn.
Slip 1, p5, p2tog, p1, turn.
Slip 1, k6, ssk, k1, turn. (I’m okay up to this point)
Repeat last two rows, working one more stitch each row until all heel sts have been worked 16 sts.

I’m having problems with the “repeat” rows. My question is do I add an extra stitch at the end of each row or am I supposed to add it somewhere else?

I tried adding another stitch to the end of each row and something went wrong. I ended up with about 6 stitches on one end and 2 on the other that had yet to be worked.

This is my first sock and I’ve already ripped the turn out once. I don’t want to ruin my yarn by ripping again.

Please help!

Thanks in advance,
Sharon

I’ve never knitted a sock, but when you watch Amy’s video on turning a heel, whenever she reaches the gap that turning the work mid row left, she stitches one more from the leftover stitches from the last row. I’m guessing this is what your pattern is talking about when it says working one more stitch. So, I don’t think that you actually add any stitches. I’d recommend watching Amy’s video real quick and seeing if this applies. -Ve

Yes, the adding a stitch each time is to get you to the gap. I have one sock pattern that gives you the numbers for the first two rows because you don’t have a gap on them. But for the following rows it just says that you’re supposed to work to that gap, and that you’re supposed to work the stitches around the gap together (with a s1, k1, psso on the knit side and a p2tog on the purl side) and then you just knit or purl another stitch and turn.

I agree watching a video of a heel turn (or actually Silver’s tutorial, as you don’t really need to sit through the entire vid) would be extremely beneficial. Once you get in your head exactly what this step is supposed to accomplish, you won’t have to focus on how many stitches to do on each row, you just know that you work until you get to the stitches around that gap. Good luck :thumbsup:

You purled 5, p2tog, p1, turn
Then knit 6, ssk, k1, turn
Now purl 7, p2tog, p1, turn
Knit 8, ssk, k1, turn

See the pattern?

Well that’s a much better explanation that took way fewer words… :slight_smile:

Knitting goddesses! All of you!

I knew someone here could explain this to me in English.

Ingrid, your comment made immediate sense to me as I’m a mathematician and patterns are always good.

Rachel, your comment explained the theory behind the pattern. I’ll always understand what’s going on now. At least when turning a heel. Perhaps you could tutor me on other things like, fixing the refrigerator?

Ve, I haven’t watched the video yet but Silver’s sock tutorial is great!

Thanks ya’ll!
Sharon