Help converting stitch pattern from flat to in the round

I need help wrapping my mind around this. I have a stitch pattern as follows:

Row 1 (RS) *K4, p1, k1, p1, k3; rep from * to last st, k1
Row 2 P1, *p2, (k1, p3) twice; rep from * to end
Row 3 *K2, (p1, k1) 4 times; rep from * to last st, k1
Row 4 P1, *k1, p1, k1, p3, (k1, p1) twice; rep from * to end
Row 5 As row 3
Row 6 As row 2

It is written for flat knitting, but I want to do it in the round, for example as a stitch pattern down the sides of a pair of socks.

So because I am not turning my work and working the wrong side when in the round, how do I make this work???

My thought is that I do round 1, then on round 2 instead of doing P1,*p2, (k1, p3) twice…etc., that I would do the opposite, as in K1, *k2, (p1, k3) twice…

Is this totally wrong, or am I on the right track??

I have no idea how to answer this, but I’ve always wondered it myself. I hope someone can explain it!

Sorry to be of no help! :frowning:

You’re on the right track, by turning knits to purls and vice versa. But you also have to reverse the pattern. Row two is the wrong side of pattern, it is also worked in reverse order of the first row because the first stitch of row 2 is the last stitch of row 1.

In order to figure it out, I’d need to know how many total stitches you’re starting with.

What I was doing it just a sample 40 stitches in the round. 5 stitches stockinette, then row 1 of pattern, then 10 stitches stockinette, row 1 of pattern, 5 stitches stockinette (as though it were for a sock, with stitch 1 being the back of the sock and the patterned sections as side panels on each side of the sock). Does that make sense so far??

So just looking at my directions above for the stitch pattern, here’s what I’m thinking. I’d do row 1 as it is stated, then for row 2 I’d do (p3, k1) twice, p2, p1.

Am I a bit more on the right track now?? :thinking:

Oh, I would have missed the reverse pattern. :shock:

Do yourself a favor and put it on a chart. This way you’re always working right to left (for circular knitting) and you can reverse the "back " stitches when you put them on the chart. Once that’s done, it’s done and you won’t have to think about it.

Great idea Ingrid :slight_smile:

Here ya go Knitqueen!

Silver, you ROCK!!

Is there a free program that does charts?

Wow Silver, that’s awesome! :happydance:

Not that I know of. I did this in Photoshop. :slight_smile: