Help! asap!

Hi Everyone! I’ve knitted a few things so I’m not really a beginner beginner…However, these simple instructions have me stumped and frustrated! I have spent more time ripping out this front ribbed band than on the whole sweater vest! It is for a baby so it should have been completed by now. Would someone help me decipher these inane instructions? I’ve tried every way that I can think of to make it all come out right to no avail! Here goes:
Rib 2, cast off 2sts, (rib 16, cast off 2 sts) 4 times, rib 1.
Next row: Rib 2, cast on 2 sts, (rib 17, cast on 2 sts) 4 times, rib 2.
Thanks loads!
Linda

I’m guessing that your rib means k1,p1? If so, you k1,p1, k1,p1, bind off 2 st,
[(k1, p1, k1, p1 : 8times), bind off 2 st ] Do this entire sequence 4 times.
end k1, p1
This is your buttonhole row done.

Now: k1, p1, k1, p1, add 2 st over space left from the row above.
[make 17 ribs , add 2 st] 4 times.
k1,p1,k1,p1.
Buttonholes done.
Hope this helps. Don’t hesitate to ask more if you need to.
We Lindas have to stick together!

Hi! Thank you Linda! Now, the rib is K2 P2. And I have tried what you suggest, but it doesn’t come out right! Where did you get the number 8 times? I think it is 4 times?? Linda

I can’t help too much with the instructions and why it doesn’t work, but the 8 times was for the Rib 16 == Linda showed a Rib 2 and said to repeat it 8 times. The whole sequence of [Rib 16, cast off 2] is what is repeated 4 times. Hope that makes sense.

:think: Do you have a link to the pattern or just the name? Where we could look it over and see why it’s not coming out? Maybe it has the wrong st count or something…:thumbsup:

Hi, Thanks so much for your help. I bought the pattern at the local knitting store (closed on Mondays). It is the Snuggly DK/Confetti #1591. I am beginning to think that the pattern is wrong, too…I’ve redone this too many times!! And it is a simple pattern. I’ve done buttonholes before and never had a problem.
It is pretty straightforward. It’s the right front border and I had to pick up 82 sts. Starting with the 2nd row of 2x2 rib work 3 rows. Not sure what that means either. Do I work 5 rows in total or do I start with the “2nd” row of 2x2 which starts with the purl stitch-the first row of the pattern being the K2 P2. Then it continues with NEXT ROW. That is what I repeated in the previous threads. Thank you so much. Linda

To `Rib 2’ doesn’t mean knit 2 ribs, it means to do 2 sts in ribbing. Then you BO 2 sts, do 16 sts in ribbing, bo 2 and repeat.

Hi Suzee…I think that is what I was doing. But, it still didn’t work out right…

Do you have the correct number of stitches? There should be 77 according to this count -
“Rib 2, cast off 2sts, (rib 16, cast off 2 sts) 4 times, rib 1.”

I wish I could see the pattern, Linda. I just checked my bundle of Sirdar patterns and seem to have the pattern numbers either side of your’s but not #1591.

You haven’t accidentally taken your numbers from two different sizes, have you?

I agree with you, the stitch count seems to be off. I only get a total of 77sts when I think those instructions through…
[COLOR=“Magenta”]Rib 2, cast off 2sts, (rib 16, cast off 2 sts) 4 times, rib 1.[/COLOR]
… That’s 2 [I](that were ribbed)[/I] plus 2 [I](that were cast off)[/I] plus 72 [I](the rib 16, cast off 2, that was done 4 times)[/I] plus 1 [I](the last rib stitch)… [/I]TOTAL 77 stitches.

I’d just not worry about the specific instructions. You’re simply knitting 5 buttonholes into a band 82 stitches long. Just work them equally apart, it will be fine. (I prefer the one row buttonhole rather than the 2 row version. http://www.knittingonthenet.com/learn/bh5.htm ) but go with a 2 row buttonhole if that’s what you feel more comfortable with.

NOTE: What Suzeeq says is important to remember. Whenever a pattern says “rib 2” (or whatever number)

it means to do 2 sts in ribbing.
It never means k1, p1, k1, p1 if single ribbing, or k2, p2, k2, p2 for double knitting. It is just saying how many [B]stitches[/B] to work in rib, not how many ribs to knit.

Oh, and about the other question you asked -

Starting with the 2nd row of 2x2 rib work 3 rows. Not sure what that means either. Do I work 5 rows in total or do I start with the “2nd” row of 2x2 which starts with the purl stitch-the first row of the pattern being the K2 P2.

That means to start with the 2nd row of rib, being the row that started p2, k2.
You work 3 rows, not 5 rows.

Hi! Thanks ever so much! I will do exactly as you suggest. I’ve always done the one row like you suggested. I’ve used Sirdar patterns before and found them to be confusing…Also, thank you for confirming the 5 rows vs. 3 rows. That is what I was doing. But, after everything kept not working out, I thought that maybe I was reading that wrong, too! I was really second guessing myself! Thanks to Suzee, I hope that I didn’t sound ungrateful or flip with my reply. Didn’t mean it that way at all!! :muah:

Oh no problem; it’s very frustrating when you think you’re doing it right over and over, and it still doesn’t come out right.

Hi, Thanks ever so much. I will do as you suggest. I’ve done it that way in the past and have had no problems. But, this time I figured I would try it the way the pattern calls for. I have used Sirdar before and find them to be confusing. Thank you for the clarification on the 5 rows vs. 3 rows. That is exactly the way I thought it was suppose to be (like you said), but began to question myself when the front border wasn’t coming out! Thank you to Suzee…I hope I didn’t come across as being flip or ungrateful to her reply. Was not meant that way at all!!! Thank you to all again…:muah:

Disregard the duplicate messsage…I rewrote the whole thing because I got an error message…LOL>…I guess today is not a good day for me!! LOL…I’ll see you all tomorrow…I’m going back to bed and getting up again to see if I can do it all right!!! LOL :muah: