Hello! Stuck on pattern, mine doesn't look like swatch in book

Hello! I’ve rediscovered knitting after a few decades, basically just knitting knit/purl stitch patterns. I found the “snakeskin” pattern in Vogue’s stitch dictionary and after trying it out can’t figure out why mine looks NOTHING like the swatch in the book.

The instructions say:
Row 1 (RS) K2, wrap 2, repeat from to last 3 sts, k3.
Row 2 (WS) purl
Row 3 K4, *wrap 2, k2; rep from * to last 3 stitches, wrap 2, k1
Row 4: purl
Repeat row 1-4

Vogue explains wrap 2 as “Wyif sl 2 sts, bring yarn to back, return 2 sl to LH needle and k2.” So, I placed the working yarn in front of the needles, slipped the two stitches to the right needle, slipped the stitches back to the left needle, knitted them, and then straight knitted the next two stitches. Was that not right?
All I get are horizontal lines across the bottom of the stitches, not what the swatch in the book looks like:
snakeskin

This is the pattern in symbols:
symbols

I’m also trying to work this in the round, which is another bit of crazy, it’s 4 stitches plus 7 and that’s throwing me off, lol!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I’ve unravelled it about 4 times so far and my yarn is crying.

Is the photo of the stitch from Vogue Knitting book? What does your swatch look like?

It sounds like you’re following the directions correctly assuming that you bring the yarn to the back:

“…the working yarn in front of the needles, slipped the two stitches to the right needle, move yarn to the back, slipped the stitches back to the left needle, knitted them, and then straight knitted the next two stitches.”

1 Like

Hi! Thanks for the reply!
Yes, it’s from their ultimate stitch book, page 37. My good swatch - which I no longer have because I ripped it apart 4 times in frustration - just looked like 2 knit stitches, then 2 more knit stitches with a horizontal bar across the bottom of one of set one of them.

I just quickly knit another one, set of 12 stitches so I can show you what I mean:
swatch
I hope it’s clear, this is my “what am I doing wrong??/ what does this stitch look like” dollar store yarn.

So what I did was pull the working yarn between the 2 knit only stitches on the right needle and the 2 stitches to be slipped on the left needle. Slipped the two stitches, then pulled the working yarn around to the back, slipped the 2 slipped stitches back to the left needle (making a loop around them with the working yarn) and then knitted those two stitches to the right needle. Then I just knitted the next two onto the right needle, I’m not sure if I’m supposed to wrap 2 twice before the 2 knit stitches or just one time, which could be part of my problem.

I think I may be over my head with this one.

It sounds and looks like you’re doing this correctly. You may be pulling the wrapping strand a little too tightly. Try just bringing it to the front, then across the slip sts to the back. Don’t put much tension on it when you eventually knit the slip sts.
Part of the difference is also the heavier yarn that you’re using. The swatch from Vogue looks like a worsted or maybe DK yarn.

1 Like

I’m probably knitting it too tight - I either go too tight to too loose, tension is something I need to work on.

I tried it with a medium weight yarn as well just to check and see if I got a different result, and it’s still the same horizontal bars under knit stitches and not that nice curved scale-like pattern. I do prefer working with bulky and super bulky yarns, more for ease of my eyes and because I’m only knitting hats, those look better on my head, lol!

I was hoping to find a downward facing scale pattern I could use to knit yarn with a blue green iridescent sheen which reminds me of dragon skin, I need to find a different one.

I’m relieved to know I’m executing the stitches correctly, this may not be a pattern I can make work.

Thank you so much for your help, I am beyond grateful!

The pattern would make a lovely hat or scarf.
There are some other patterns that might work:

This one has similar wrap sts which seem to be pulled more tightly.
and there is this dragon stitch:
1 Like

OOOOooo! Thank you so much!!! These look great!

1 Like

I spent some time googling more scale-like stitches, and discovered that the stitch is called the “crocodile stitch” everywhere else but the Vogue book. There’s a video I watched which kind of helped, but I still can’t get it to look the right way. It turns out my yarn over should have been wrapped around my right needle (I think) instead of my just pulling the working yarn between stitches (I think. At least it looks better?).

This is the video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9iXvDhOm7o (Can’t figure out the embed code, total forum newbie!)
and this is what I got by following along (the lower stitches are before I figured out about wrapping the working yarn around my right needle):
2nd try

You are doing correctly the stitches but it still looks to tight wrap. When you transfer stitches back to left needle do not tighten working yarn that you wrap around and back that two stitches. Pull them and stretch both to relax than knit. Make sure they not squeezed tight.
Good luck with project.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting video. It seems that the yarn round the needle is a substitute for the wrap. The same result just worked a different way.

1 Like

It’s so hard not to get it too tight, but yes, I think that may be the bulk of my problem. I’ll definitely try that. Maybe putting a DPN with the wrap as a double needle would be an idea to make sure it’s not too tight, then slipping it out once the wrap around is complete.

Thank you for the encouragement, I keep telling myself it’s mean to be fun and relaxing and yet I’m pulling out my hair and stitches in equal measure. :smile:

I think in my case the wrap around helps me work the stitch better, but maybe not for everyone. Yay for the internet and youtube!

thank you again for all your help and advice! :heartpulse: :heartpulse:

1 Like

I agree with Salmonmac, as video shows yarn over would be better way to control tension of wrap and result is similar. Good luck with project :+1::smiley:

2 Likes