Hello and a ? about a step in a lace pattern

Hello,

I’ve been an occasional, simple knitter for years. But sometimes simple is just too boring - which is probably why it’s been only occasional. Then awhile ago I took on a lace project and the challenge woke me up to all the possibilities in crafting knitted fabric, and I am loving it. Therefore, I have much to learn and do and I’m working on a pattern right now with a step that has me wondering which way is the right way.

Here’s the step: …P1* (end of repeat), (beg. of repeat) yo, sl1, k2tog, psso… And here’s my question: the P1 leaves the yarn forward - is that considered the yo at the beg. of the next repeat, leaving the yarn fwd for the Sl1? And if it is, do I move the yarn back to k position for the k2tog?

So, if anyone knows the ‘right way’, I’d love to hear it. My logic says ‘leave the yfwd as the yo’, but one thing I’ve learned is that my logic up against the ways of knitting isn’t always logical. And sometimes it’s just smarter to ask someone more knitting savvy than I…rather than Frog it over & over! (that’s to show I Did read the abbreviations page : ) )

Anyway, let me know if you know! And thanks.

I don’t know for sure, oddly enough I just found this thread cause I just came across the same issue but I am fairly certain that the sl 1 is knit wise. Hope someone more knowledgeable answers us soon as I’m mid row 8. Are you knitting the free washcloth pattern too?? :slight_smile:

No, I’m knitting a scarf with a pattern that’s something like the Roman Stripe, giving a column effect in between sections of garter. I agree that the sl st. is knitwise - it’s the yo before it that I’m questioning, since the stitch before the yo is a purl which leaves the yarn fwd anyway (just like it would be for a yo before a knit st) - so either the pattern is saying ‘just leave the yarn fwd’ when it says ‘yo’, or there’s something I should do that I don’t know about…what are you struggling with?

Welcome to KH!
Your logic is absolutely correct. Leave the yarn in front after the purl then bring to the back for the k2tog. Here’s a video that shows just that (see specifically the 1:40minute point).

Well, that’s wonderful to hear…that my logic is correct…gives me the feeling I might be getting clued-in! (Not to mention the relief of knowing I don’t have to Frog.)

Thanks salmonmac - I appreciate it.

Always good to know you don’t have to frog!
I forgot to include the video but I’ve now put it into my earlier post. Sorry for blanking out there.
Also, good for you for trying different patterns. There’s so much out there to experiment with and it’s fun to try it.

I’m one of those who’s always looking for new stitches. And now that I’ve discovered lace, I’m gathering patterns. The ones I’m really interested in finding are reversibles. I like knitting scarves but I don’t like patterns that look gorgeous on one side and then nothing but nubbly and chaotic on the other. And nice reversibles are hard to find, so if you know of any, please let me know. (My latest scarf surprised me - it’s the best I’ve made - a great reversible pattern - I would post a pic of it here but I’m not sure how to do that.)

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement and help. Nice to have a place to chat about this new passion/obsession of mine!

We were wrong. I began losing stitches between rows so I checked the rows, then I did the rib-it-bit but realized this wasn’t a random drop - the number of missing stitches was 1 off of the number of repeats so that brought me to the question of leaving the yarn fwd for the k2tog or putting it back to knit position. So I tested both. With the yarn back in the knit position it’s no longer on the needle as a yo, which makes for 2 decreases and only 1 yo. In the fwd position it’s 2 for 2.

How would you write that in a pattern though? ‘yo, sl1, yo, k2tog…’ would be confusing. Maybe parentheses, yo(sl1, k2tog). I don’t know.

And what was it I was saying about my logic turning out to be illogical? Classic example if I’ve ever seen one! : ))

No, there’s only one yo needed here. After the purl one, the yarn is at the front. Leave it there as you slip one knitwise then bring it to the back loosely to work the k2tog. Just be careful when you pick up the slipped stitch that you’re not picking up the yo or both the yo and slipped stitch.
This repeat should be a double decrease, the k2tog and the psso. The yo will increase one stitch. Can you write out or copy and paste the instructions for the entire row?

It’s a very simple pattern - the row is: K2tog, yo, P1 yo, sk2p, yo, P1, last 2 sts. yo, skp. And I tried it the way you said (which I think is to lay the yarn over the needle, not under it, to go to the back and then k2tog) and I do see a difference in the appearance of the sk2p stitch - it doesn’t have the longer, angled loop coming out of the stitch like the others. I don’t know why though…and that’s part of what I I have yet to learn, exactly how the stitches and yarn interact…but I will do it both ways, very slowly, to figure it out.

And the 2nd yo is still there so the number of stitches is correct, and the fabric will now look like the pattern intends it to! Thank you for showing me a knitting way that the pattern didn’t and that I probably wouldn’t have figured out on my own.

Now I have to go do the rib-it routine and do it right. Thanks again, and cheers!

Love your Lifelines in Lace! It means that you only lose a couple of rows rather than loads!

Yes, that’s right. The yarn goes over the right needle to the back. What sometimes happens is that the slipped stitch tries to hide under the yo. You just have to be sure to pass the slipped stitch and not the yo.
Good luck with the rest of it and post a photo when you finish please!

And in redoing it I realized there wasn’t anything to “figure out” about why going over instead of under the needle would make a difference in the stitch - going over is exactly the same as holding the yarn fwd, the only difference being the looseness of the stitch holding the k2tog. Much looser when the yarn isn’t directed backwards to the 2ktog.

I use the slant of the yo to distinguish between it and the slipped stitch, so even if it’s hiding under the yo, I dig it out…after all, it has a job to do! And I’d be glad to post a picture when it’s done…I’ll see if I can find out how to do that. (Most of my computer time is spent researching, reading and writing so I’m a little slow on the more interactive side of things.)

Thanks again Salmonmac - it’s been great having the support.

Well, I looked up how to post a photo and I want to try it out, but since I haven’t finished the scarf discussed, I’m posting my last project. That’s the reversible I like so well.