Helen Joyce

Hello all,

I am with a problem about this pattern that keeps making me frog. It’s the Helen Joyce dress located here on Ravelry.

1)[B] Chart A is knit at the same time as the instructions below. You have placed the markers for it on row 5, but will ----- start working it in different spots, depending on the size you are making. Please read ahead.
Repeat row 6 and 7, 1(1,1,2,2,3,3) times, then start working chart A for the center, at the same time as working the listed rows as instructed below. You will start working it on a Right Side (RS)
Row 6:(RS) K1, P1, K1, P1, (knit to 1 stitch before the next marker, Kfb, Sm, Kfb) work 4x, knit-to the last 4 stitches, -----------K1, P1, K1, P1 (8 stitches increased)
Row 7:(WS) P1, K1, P1, K1, Purl to the last 4 stitches, P1, K1, P1, K1[/B]

1. [B]Row 1:(RS) Knit 3, YO, SSK, knit 3, K2tog, Yo, knit 3
    Row 2:(WS) Purl
    Row 3:(RS) Knit 1, K2tog, YO, knit 1, YO, SSK, knit 1, K2tog, ----------YO, knit 1, YO, SSK, knit 1
    Row 4:(WS) Purl
    Row 5:(RS) K2tog, YO, knit 3, YO, DD, YO, knit 3, YO, SSK
    Row 6:(WS) Purl
    Row 7:(RS) Knit 1, YO, SSK, knit 7, K2tog, YO, knit 1
    Row 8:(WS) Purl
    Row 9:(RS) Knit 2, YO, SSK, knit 5, K2tog, YO, knit 2
    Row 10:(WS) Purl
    Row 11:(RS) Knit 3, YO, SSK, knit 3, K2tog, YO, knit 3
    Row 12:(WS) Purl
    Row 13:(RS) Knit 4, YO, SSK, knit 1, K2tog, YO, knit 4
    Row 14:(WS) Purl
    Row 15:(RS) Knit 5, YO, DD, YO, knit 5[/B]

I have done Part 1 twice equaling four rows and have been doing the chart (Part 2) along with the chart but it doesn’t look center like other dresses featured on the pattern page. See pic and I apologize for a lack of a better picture. What am I doing wrong? I really don’t want to want this to look like crap as this is going to a friend of mine. Thanks so much!

It may be a problem with where you’ve placed the markers in row 5. I don’t have the pattern but you may have markers at the sides (the underarms) and also markers for the chart placement. Check that you have them placed correctly for the size you’re making. Also, you can put a marker on the center stitch on the front. It should line up with the middle stitch of the k3 here:

Row 1:(RS) Knit 3, YO, SSK, [B]knit[/B] [B]3[/B], K2tog, Yo, knit 3

It’s a darling dress and I’ve saved it on Rav for a future gift.

Thank you so much. I’ll check again to see what I did wrong. A pattern shouldn’t confuse me this bad. LOL!