Heel Won't TURN! Pattern Clarification Pelase!

I’m doing a test sock for a friend and I’m assuming there’s no typo, but I can’t figure it out. It’s the Tirzah’s Delight Sock (Rav link), and here’s my problem.

For turning the heel it says:
[FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Comic Sans MS] TURN HEEL
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Row 1 [RS]: Sl 1, k16, ssk, k1. Turn work.[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Row 2 [WS]: Sl 1, [COLOR=#ff0000]p5[/COLOR], p2tog, p1. Turn work.[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Row 3 [RS]: Sl 1, [COLOR=#ff0000]k6, ssk, k1[/COLOR]. Turn work[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

If I P5 on row 2 (with 20 st on the needle), I first of all, don’t have enough stitches to K6, SSK, K1, and second of all, if I repeat rows 2 & 3 from there like the pattern says, the short rows would all be on one side of the foot, wouldn’t they??? :??

I’m sure I’M the problem here. Can someone straighten me out? This isn’t my first sock by a longshot!

Here’s a pic of the sock from the pattern page:

I don’t knit socks, but I’m pretty sure when you do the ssk or k2tog sts, one of them is from the sts leftover on your other needle. It’s not done on just the sts from your previous row.

I have to drink some coffee before I can wrap my brain around that teaser :wink: but regardless, I still don’t have enough stitches and there wouldn’t be 2 short rows (one on each side of the foot)…:wall:

How many stitches are on the needle when you start Row 1?

There has to be more then 20, or the k16 in row 1 doesn’t make sense. Normally, when you finish row 1 of a heel turn, you’re just a little bit past the center of the stitches.

another thought/question - how many stitches did you use to make your heel flap? Usually, it’s about half the total sock stitches, ie - if you cast on 60 stitches, then you’d use 30 for the flap and so have 30 when you start the heel turn.

As Mirl says you should have more heel stitches than the 19 you’re working in Row 1, generally about 30. In Row 2 you’ve turned your work and are working back across the stitches you’ve just knit. Row 3 you turn your work again and work across the stitches you’ve just purled plus 2 stitches. Row 4 you turn and knit across the stitches you’ve just purled plus 2 stitches. You continue working back and forth until you have worked all the approximately 30 stitches or whatever number you had for the heel, that will constitute the cup of the heel ending with generally a purl row. From there you pick up stitches along the side of the heel flap for the gusset, work across the top of the foot and pick up stitches along the other side of the heel flap and work as directed in pattern.

Thanks all. I don’t think the pattern made that clear but you’re right, it should be half the c.o. stitches (usual socks). I will ask the designer!
:muah:

Thanks all, the pattern designer told me it was 30 stitches as you said! I don’t know what I was thinking!
:whoosh: